Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading port mod ?s on M3000

igolfat8

I want to open up the loading port on my M3000. There is a vertical hole with a pin on the left side (with the gun inverted). Will it hurt to grind into this area? Should the pin be removed first or is it OK to grind into it? Its also likely that I will get into the serial number as well. Is it illegal to destroy part of the serial number? Is it legal to hand engrave (the same) serial number up higher on the receiver?

I want to open up the loading port on my M3000. There is a vertical hole with a pin on the left side (with the gun inverted). Will it hurt to grind into this area? Should the pin be removed first or is it OK to grind into it? Its also likely that I will get into the serial number as well. Is it illegal to destroy part of the serial number? Is it legal to hand engrave (the same) serial number up higher on the receiver?

I'm an internet lawyer so due your own due diligence but...

You can not destroy or alter the serial number. Very bad juju!

You can not hand write the original serial number. See above

You can bring it to a gunsmith who has the proper federal license (to lazy to look it up) who can remove your "Stoeger M3000 serial number 123456" and then put a new serial number in a different location thereby creating a new gun under "Joe Bob's Gunsmith, M3000 serial number 123456" (if that makes sense).

I don't have a M3000 yet but did this on a 930 which has a similar pin. I left the pin on there and just went to town grinding/filing away. From memory and other will correct me but the serial number and the pin are on the same side so as long as you don't cut into the serial number that pin should be fine.

See the Stoeger M3000 90+ page thread. I'm pretty sure if memory serves these questions where in there but it's a lot of reading!

And this picture will help if you are a DIYer:

http://moaprecision.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=m3k-port&cat=4&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=

Edited by muddywings

A defaced Serial Number is a VERY BAD THING that can get you a room at the Gray Bar Hotel.

There is more than just the opening of the port that needs to be done. depending upon what you want done, I would recommend contacting Tom at MOA, they do nice work and are intimately familiar with Stoegers.