Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Pro Speed

I remember seeing some guys speeding up their Case Pro to almost 40 rounds a minute. My question is - how do you make the case feeder capable of keeping up with that speed? My machine runs slower, and yet it sometimes outruns the case feeder, for instance, with .40 brass.

Mine runs 30 rpm and I don't have any problems.

Are you having problems with them dropping into the case pro shuttle or into the dies? Or are you talking about an after market case collator?

Dillon case feeder, running at Low speed. High speed is fast enough, but more prone to case jams.

If you can't figure out why it is jamming, you could get a MA Systems collator or just slow it down a bit.

I have run .40's in a dillon collator much faster than that though.

Kept up with this rate.

Edited by jmorris

• 2 weeks later...

I have been running pretty well at 34rpm lately, with a new 6Z082 motor, but I am changing to a 3-phase motor with a VFD, so I can set any speed I want.

Fortunately, ebay often has real bargains. This set - a brand new 1/8hp, 3ph motor, plus an almost new controller cost me about $125 total, with shipping.

post-21305-0-07271700-1431121426_thumb.j

Edited by Foxbat

To prevent stress when in the rearmost position. There is stop screw there, so the spring allows for soft stop. In the forward position you don't really care if it overtravels, but in the back you want it to stop right under the hole, so the case would drop nicely.

• 2 months later...

A small update for anyone contemplating running Case Pro at high speed.

The basic machine structure is very strong and reliable, most of it can take very high speed in stride. But there is one concern.

The transfer bar's mass does not matter at low speeds. However, if you run it really fast, it will sometimes overshoot its intended position, resulting in a crash: the nilon screw, on top of the die, will crash into the bar.

It is not hard to eliminate that problem, by putting two stops in the bar, limiting its travel in both directions. With that mod, its movement becomes very well controlled, and the crashes go away.

With the stops I am now consistently running the machine at 55rpm, and as long as the case feeder does its job, everything works like a charm.

I can post the pictures of the stops, if you need it, but it is really simple.

You can see that the transfer bar motion is well controlled, with no overshoot. Just putting a controllable amount of friction on the bar would probably also work, but this is simple enough.