Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Precision S&W M&P 9L sight question

Nemesis Lead

I have a Smith and Wesson M & P 9L on the way (yay!). I want to give it some Dawson Precision sights.

Can anyone recommend a fixed rear and front sight combo (by that I mean the models and their heights) that will approximately put a 147 grain bullet at 132 PF to POA = POI (or up to 2 inches high) at 25 yards?

I prefer fixed rear sights to adjustables.

suggestion; get the gun, shoot it, then use the current sights dimensions to calculate exactly what height you will need. anything else is just a bestguestimate. once you get it on paper and if you need help with the calculations, post up here, folks will be happy to help

What Mike said above. The Dawson rears are the same height as the factory one. But you you have some notch width options with the DP replacements. Figure out where the current sights put your preferred load and then you will have a pretty good idea of which height you need for the new DP front. Pretty sure the factory front is .180" tall.

Edited by wgj3

If you normally hold at 6 oclock on the target, the gun will seem to shoot low. You will need a shorter front.

I ended up just putting an adjustable set from Dawson on mine. Less screwing around.

Dawson has a policy that if you follow their recommendations, they will replace the front sight free of charge should it not shoot to the desired point of impact. Fixed rears are single height.

Best to shoot the gun as is, then discuss the sight selection with their tech on the phone.

Funny thing is, while the rear sight on my 5"Pro is different than the Dawson, the rear on my 9C looks exactly like the Dawson.

Changing out both for .125", as I get too much daylight around the Dawson .100" FO. Believe the factory rears are .135"

I have a 9L. I run a Warren Tactical fixed .150w notch black target rear, and a Dawson .180t x .115w F.O. front. Works for me, but I'm shooting 124's. Both can be gotten at DP.

Edited by rack&roll

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have any experience with both the dawson fixed and adjustable rear that they can give their opinions on both. I'm trying to decide between these and not sure if I want the fixed (similar to what comes on the M&P) or the adjustable.