Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do Open Tanfoglio guns in 9mm Major crack often?

Cy Soto

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="MrPostman" data-cid="2384862" data-time="1430350991"><p><p><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Cy Soto" data-cid="2384304" datatime="1430275650">Yes, they may last a little longer. But I know if at least one person who sent in multiple frames he'd bought second hand and shot till they cracked, sent em back to EAA and got brand new frames, both times. Which sounds like a pretty good deal to me :)

Edited by george76904

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think r Elliot makes a pretty fair assessment. I love my tanfos but the open guns do seem prone to lug problems. The light spring is not a cause. In fact a heavier spring can make it worse as the lugs and the cone on the comp then cop more force going into battery.

I look after my 38super v12 fastidiously. I clean it every 2-300 rounds. Slide glide on lugs, cone and rails and oil everywhere else. I can see a very slight peening on the leading edge of the front most lug.

One thing that will influence this wear is how the lower lug/peanut is cut (as this shape controls the locking and unlocking with the slide). The other is the fit of the barrel hood to the slide. If these are good it'll last a lot longer.

Unfortunately their tolerances are wide enough that some are good and some are not.

Here in aus a Eric custom v12 is $3700 aud new with 5 mags and a trubore is the same with 1 mag. Makes it hard to justify the tanfog. Having said that I still like mine. :)

One thing that will influence this wear is how the lower lug/peanut is cut (as this shape controls the locking and unlocking with the slide). The other is the fit of the barrel hood to the slide. If these are good it'll last a lot longer.

Unfortunately their tolerances are wide enough that some are good and some are not.

Bingo, this is exactly correct.

List on a Gold Custom Extreme in Canada is $7,400.00. For that kind of money you could have any of the top builders set a 2011 Open gun any way you want.

Bingo. Definitely get the 2011. At that money the fit and finish are way better.

I've tried some very expensive and great shooting 2011's, but I could not get use to that grip.

The CZ and Tanfoglio just feel so much better in my hands,

And your right we are somewhat fortunate here in the U.S. to be able to get a little bit better price on the Tanfoglio.

I've tried some very expensive and great shooting 2011's, but I could not get use to that grip.

The CZ and Tanfoglio just feel so much better in my hands

Me too! The only downside is the comp designs and the extra weight, but I'm working on it...

Atlas, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

I've been able to talk with another guru on here that is building his own Tanfoglio open guns too,

and he has also helped me out greatly with this open platform.

I can't thank you guys enough for all the great information on here.

The CZ and Tanfoglio just feel so much better in my hands

Me too! The only downside is the comp designs and the extra weight, but I'm working on it...

Me three. They may be flawed in their excecution but I still love it.

With a few improvements they'd be great.