Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight advice: STI Targetmaster

bluesman2a

I recently picked up an STI Targetmaster in 9mm. Great gun and I enjoy shooting it, but want to set it up for pin shooting.

At 25ft, it's shooting about 4-6" low with the stock sights.The groups are beautiful, just point of impact is not the same as point of aim.

When adjusting the rear sight in the "UP" direction, the screw runs out of detent "clicks" before the issue is corrected, I think to loosen it more would be risking the screw falling out eventually.

I've also confirmed that it's not just me, other shooters have the same

Confirmed it's not the ammo (115gr round nose and 147gr round nose).

So this leaves me with some questions:

1) is there anything I can do to increase the adjustment range on the rear sight?

2) Not a fan of the front-sight and was thinking of replacing it with a F/O front sight. Any recommendations for this?

3) Being that I would like to keep the rear, should I get a different HEIGHT front sight to correct the issue? If so, how do I determine what height I need to work with the rear? (I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've never understood this one).

1) not easily (looks like I'm wrong here see post below) 2) something from Dawson 3) Google Brownell sight calculator, get a measuring tape, and all will be revealed. Get something shorter than the minimum necessary so you have some adjustment travel.

If you're shooting pins, most matches require you move them about 3' back off the table. Takes a stout 9mm load to do that, especially once they get heavy. If you don't reload, it's gonna be frustrating and lead to a lot of deadwood.

Edited by peterthefish

The Target Master has the Aristocrat rear sight. Have played with the screw on the right side of the rear sight? It will raise and lower the whole rear sight. You will have to back out the three set screws on top of the sight also. This sight was designed to do exactly what you want to do. There is no reason you should have to replace it.

If you replace the front sight you may run into issues with having enough adjustment. I'm not sure if Dawson offers a front FO that is tall enough, but that would be the first place I would call.

Dustin

Dawson Precision has the formula on their website, if you take a 5" average (4-6" low) at 25', your front site needs to be .111 shorter on on a 5" pistol or .128" on a 6" pistol.

You must have a tall front sight, my 2011's and 1911's are all running a .180" front sight.

Measure yours and subtract = the sight you need.

The Target Master has the Aristocrat rear sight. Have played with the screw on the right side of the rear sight? It will raise and lower the whole rear sight. You will have to back out the three set screws on top of the sight also. This sight was designed to do exactly what you want to do. There is no reason you should have to replace it.

If you replace the front sight you may run into issues with having enough adjustment. I'm not sure if Dawson offers a front FO that is tall enough, but that would be the first place I would call.

Dustin

Thanks all!

Dustin, I dimly remember the Aristocrat manual in the box. Thus far, I've only had one session at the range. Clearly I have some more homework here to do here,

I still want to replace the front sight, but it's more for visibility at this point. Before I do that, I'll look more at the rear sight.

Just another reason I love this sight.

Dawson Precision has the formula on their website, if you take a 5" average (4-6" low) at 25', your front site needs to be .111 shorter on on a 5" pistol or .128" on a 6" pistol.

You must have a tall front sight, my 2011's and 1911's are all running a .180" front sight.

Measure yours and subtract = the sight you need.

The Target Master isn't your normal sight setup. This formula does not work. The rear sight is taller than most of the typical 1911/2011 sights.

Dustin

Thanks all!

Dustin, I dimly remember the Aristocrat manual in the box. Thus far, I've only had one session at the range. Clearly I have some more homework here to do here,

I still want to replace the front sight, but it's more for visibility at this point. Before I do that, I'll look more at the rear sight.

Just another reason I love this sight.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Dustin

I just helped a friend who has the exact same gun change his front sight with a Dawson fiber optic. Dawson offers two different height sights for that exact model. Give them a call and they can get you the right one.

When the new sight was installed, all three settings on the rear were still usable.

Adam