Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I need help choosing a 9mm for IDPA

airforceblue7032

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how everyone turns this into a validation of their own opinion on what the best gun for IDPA is.

Ultimately the best gun is what any one person shoots best and is legal per the rulebook. I'm guessing that's why everyone suggests their own preference. I do think it's kind of funny as well.

I love how everyone turns this into a validation of their own opinion on what the best gun for IDPA is.

Ultimately the best gun is what any one person shoots best and is legal per the rulebook. I'm guessing that's why everyone suggests their own preference. I do think it's kind of funny as well.

How many are going to say "I think an XYZ is best but I shoot an ABC because I don't want to use what I think is the best equipment. I like a challenge "

Unless your shooting SSP, the 2011 really is the ideal platform for any other division. Crisp trigger, balanced weight and a wide mag chute. What more is there? Most just don't want to spend the money. And that's ok.

Even when looking at the OTHER shooting sport, no one chooses to trade in their 2011 for a glock or any other plastic fantastic. Even as great as the CZ/tangfolios are, the still don't picked to play over the 2011.

It just boils down to what your budget is.

Hello all,

I've been shooting IDPA for less than a year with my S&W 1911 in .45 cal. It's my only pistol and I bought it before I knew anything about IDPA. I also starting hand loading .45 cal at the same time I started IDPA.

I've been kicking around the idea of switching to 9mm. The lower cost of ammo and the lighter recoil has been on my mind this year. My funds are a bit tight so my options are limited. I would like to stay under $900 for a new gun. I also need to consider the added equipment I will need with the new 9mm; Holster, mag pouches, and materials I will need to begin hand loading 9mm.

I'm still on the fence whether or not I want to sell my 1911 and the hand loading dies/primers etc. to finance the new gun. I've done some brief research, and it seems like the best gun for my price range would be the Springfield Range Officer. I also like the STI VIP but that's much to high. If I don't want to stay with the 1911 platform, there are other choices out there. I like the Springfield XD, but I haven't heard much about that gun and if IDPA shooters like it. I know the Glock's are very popular, but I've shot a few of those and did not like them.

Do any of you have some advice? I appreciate any guidance and wisdom you have. Thanks in advance.

If you like the 1911 platform and enjoy shooting it your initial choice of a Springfield Range Officer would be a nice option within your budget. As has been previously mentioned, you can use your existing holster/mag pouch setup to save even more money.

As for reducing recoil over your 45, have you experimented with different powder/bullet combinations? I know powders like Clays, Clay Dot, Solo 1000, N310 (if you can find them) can produce "soft" feeling loads while still making major power factor. If you use a good coated bullet like Bayou offers you can further reduce the volume of powder needed by a few tenths of a grain over that needed with plated/jacketed bullets. I only mention this because you say you are already reloading.

Confused??? If the OP was looking for ideas, wouldn't that suggest he wants opinions? And figuring that people, if they like their gun would in the end offer it up. As for validation, I don't think anyone is really needing anyone to validate their firearm. I would venture to say that no one here is going to cash in the farm because their choice was not picked. Stay Classy San Diego!!!

Umm...... The Marauder is IDPA legal. Just saying

Looking at the website they have a short rail version too.... they had one at my LGS that had a FLDC w/ rail and it was a Marauder.

Edited by ArrDave

Glock 17/34 and M&P Pro would be my recommendations. Simple, proven, and affordable. I know you mentioned you "don't like Glocks", but they are outstanding firearms to start with, and most people change there minds after some quality trigger time. If the grip angle doesn't do it for you, then the M&P might be a better option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by safeactionjackson

And is it for sale yet :) .

I think all previous advice on this thread should be ignored in favor of getting something that fits CCP. Going to 8 rounds with a 9mm gun more sized like what you might carry could be where the most fun is to be had in IDPA next year. (Least that is how I rationalized buying a CZ compact for Xmas, even though the XD's rock).

If you like 1911 single stacks, get one in 9mm and you already have the gear. They rock for ESP.

I shoot 1911/2011's and CZ's. If you want something to cover other classes in gun games the CZ 85 combat I shoot in Production, SSP and ESP. Best part they are not real $$$ and most 1911 guys shoot them well also.

As always if you can try other people guns at a match you will save a lot of buying and selling later...

• 2 weeks later...

Unless your shooting SSP, the 2011 really is the ideal platform for any other division. Crisp trigger, balanced weight and a wide mag chute. What more is there? Most just don't want to spend the money. And that's ok.

Even when looking at the OTHER shooting sport, no one chooses to trade in their 2011 for a glock or any other plastic fantastic. Even as great as the CZ/tangfolios are, the still don't picked to play over the 2011.

It just boils down to what your budget is

Tell that to the guy ,who won USPSA nationals with Tanfoglio , which is CZ clone lol

It just boils down to what your budget is

Tell that to the guy ,who won USPSA nationals with Tanfoglio , which is CZ clone lol

If you have the latest FrontSight magazine (USPSA's magazine) page 50 will show you the %'s of what guns were used for limited and limited 10 (similar guns to IDPA esp) in the USPSA handgun nationals. CZ & clones were too small in number to be listed in limited (2011 style was about 77%) but appear to have made up about 8% of limited 10 vs 48% for STI & 8% for SV.

Production class in USPSA would be the real place for comparison, but 2011's do not make the production gun list.

I shoot CZ's in USPSA production or IDPA ssp/ccp, & 2011's for Limited and IDPA esp, both are great guns in my opinion. For what it is worth, their is a lot of plastic on most 2011's (unless you spend big $ for aluminum grips/grip frame) and none at all on the more sought after competition CZ's /tanfo's , so I guess a CZ/Tanfo person could rightly refer to my 2011's as plastic fantastic :) .