Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I need help choosing a 9mm for IDPA

airforceblue7032

Agreed.

I'm always amused by those new to HK that try to thumb the release, like an American-style release.

I own an HK USPc .45. I've tried using the release with my trigger finger. I still can't stand it. YMMV.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed.

I'm always amused by those new to HK that try to thumb the release, like an American-style release.

I own an HK USPc .45. I've tried using the release with my trigger finger. I still can't stand it. YMMV.
Middle finger works much better, more natural than trying to crank your trigger finger down.

• 2 weeks later...

I use my trigger finger on the HK release, it's just as fast. but with it's proximity to the trigger i know it will be a problem at some point.... it hasn't happened but i have a gut feeling it will. or i will atleast get stopped by a scared RO/SO

That's another reason I don't like using the trigger finger on the mag release -- the lever is close to the trigger and I'm pushing it with the same finger I use to press the trigger. I understand that it works for others, but I'm a bit uncomfortable with it.

To answer the original question: Sig P320 fullsize

I have owned every handgun under the sun it seems, probably 150+, and it has impressed me more than any other factory pistol. Easy to shoot fast--sights stay flat, extremely accurate, the most modular handgun ever---made to tailor to you, great trigger, mag release is perfect, easy disassembly/cleaning, etc. The only thing I'll knock it on is that it's easy to ride the slidelock. Oh, and it's only $550. I was worried the hype would be BS, which is how I felt with most other poly/striker guns. This thing sets the bar.

I started with a G34 and used it for 2 years. It was a choice between it, M&P or CZ. I just recently purchased a Shadow and love it. Should have purchased it first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In competition I have shot the Para LDA, Beretta Elite 2, Glock 17, S&W M&P 4.5" and then 5L, an HK USP, a Tanfoglio Stock 1 a 1911 single stack.. I've owned and shot sigs, but never competed with them because I can't get the slide to lock back reliably for me.. I know this is a problem with ME. but i was unable to fix it, I'm now running the Grand power. it shoots well if not better than any.

It really goes to what fits your hand. Glocks always point a little left to me, and bite the top of my hand, sig's don't lock back. beretta discontinued the elite series. and they ere a vast improvement over the 92 FS. the HK mag release was clunky and had too high of a bore axis. the M&P wasn't as accurate as i wanted.

If a gun fits you, hits where you aim, and is reliable & accurate that's all that matters.

• 1 month later...

We live in an amazing age where it is harder to find a bad gun then it is to find a good one. There is no right or wrong... Find what works for you and shoot the lights out.

However, look at platforms that have a good aftermarket supply chain.... I've played with off brand stuff and it's always hard to find mags, holsters, sights, etc..... Glock, S&W, Springfield, CZ, are the big players with Sig making a push with their new P320 line.....

1911's are well supported. If you shoot a 1911 look, for a 9mm version with a ramped barrel, you can find good options from Springfield, S&W, STI, Dan Wesson... The Springfield Range Officer in 9mm is a fantastic gun for the money, maybe the best deal on the market right now.

I'll chip in:

For a 1911 the Range Officer is hard to beat in 9mm, we have guys shooting those with no problems whatsoever.

For a SAO that isn't a 1911 I'd suggest a CZ75. My ESP gun is a Shadow T Custom and it's worth every penny. That gun is awesome.

For a striker gun I would highly suggest looking at the FNS 9. I wound up with one in a trade and it's a great gun. I traded with a dealer and could have walked out with an M&P, VP9, Glock, XD, or pretty much any popular striker pistol except a Walther. The FNS came home.

Lastly, I'm obliged as a wheelgunner to suggest you consider a GP100 or 686 in 38 while you're deciding. Once I started in REV I haven't shot ESP or SSP since.

• 3 months later...

Don't think you have to go new. I bought my 9mm XDM 5.25 competition fully tricked out for $800.00 all in all done. Add in about 90.00 for holster and mag pouch.

Pistol is VERY competive and more accurate than I.

JD

Lots of good deals like this to be had, and if you decide you are not happy then you can resell without losing the farm. Run a WTB add if you do not wish to wait around for the right WTS.

G34. For around $100, you can add Warren tactical sights, 13lb recoil spring and tweak some springs if you want. This can give you a trigger less than 4lbs and gun is very reliable, fast and accurate.

And points naturally if you are goose hunting.

Just sayin.

I've been pretty happy with my Walther PPQ M2. It does need some sights, but it's the best trigger I've ever been on. After that I'd recommend a G34 as there are a ton of aftermarket parts and they're inexpensive to purchase.

G34. For around $100, you can add Warren tactical sights, 13lb recoil spring and tweak some springs if you want. This can give you a trigger less than 4lbs and gun is very reliable, fast and accurate.

And points naturally if you are goose hunting.

Just sayin.

I hunt goose eggs!

Sorry I know it's corny but I couldn't help it.

After shooting IDPA on the club level for 4 yrs , having tactical training , shooting USPSA and PASS for a year and now getting into 3Gun.......I suggest to buy once cry once.........Get a STI 2011 and have 1 gun to do it all.I own and have shot almost all of the Glock line......currently shoot a CZ Shadow Target.With all that said....LOL.....I just received my STI Marauder and ran 200 rounds through her, then shot a club level match last nite.All I can say is.......Why did I wait so long ? !!!!! STI Marauder......WORTH THE LOOK !!!!

You might consider the Sig 320, I am a long time glock guy, and I know i will burn in hell for saying it but they are great guns. I think it has one of the smoothest triggers straight out of the box. the interchangeability of the frames, with the trigger group staying the same is a cool idea. food for thought.

After shooting IDPA on the club level for 4 yrs , having tactical training , shooting USPSA and PASS for a year and now getting into 3Gun.......I suggest to buy once cry once.........Get a STI 2011 and have 1 gun to do it all.I own and have shot almost all of the Glock line......currently shoot a CZ Shadow Target.With all that said....LOL.....I just received my STI Marauder and ran 200 rounds through her, then shot a club level match last nite.All I can say is.......Why did I wait so long ? !!!!! STI Marauder......WORTH THE LOOK !!!!

Marauder is illegal in IDPA, Full length rail single action gun es no bueno. Sti Eagle is good to go.