Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I need help choosing a 9mm for IDPA

airforceblue7032

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think you have to go new. I bought my 9mm XDM 5.25 competition fully tricked out for $800.00 all in all done. Add in about 90.00 for holster and mag pouch.

Pistol is VERY competive and more accurate than I.

JD

I shot M&Ps (initially full sized and then a 5" pro) in SSP. Had the Apex Competition stuff in it, but kept the stock trigger return spring for a just under 3lb pull.

Switched it up for ESP and shot a G34 (which is for sale in the classifieds, yeah shameless plug, but it has everything needed to go shoot. ESP legal now and could be made SSP legal easily).

For CCP I shoot a VP9, stock other than the Dawson sights.

Still shoot ESP occasionally with a CZ75.

Seen a few XDms, Sig226s, and some 9mm 1911s spread around, but the majority of guns seem to be Glock 17/34s or M&P9mms of some variety.

Edited by RexKramer

I'm a rookie... This is my first year shooting IDPA. I've been shooting Glocks for years so I started competing with a Glock 17 in SSP and a Glock 21 in CDP. But I recently found a good deal on a 9mm Range Officer and decided to give it a try. Wow! My scores are better than with either Glock so the RO is currently my go to gun for both IDPA and US Steel Challenge. It came with a Dawson FO front sight, a S&A one piece MSH and magwell, a Wilson extended mag release, a Wolff 19 lb hammer spring & 5 Chip McCormick 10 rnd mags. I'm no expert, but this sure seems like a nice package! I load 9 mm for about a nickel less per round than .45 acp so the savings pay the $10 entry fee for most matches.

I use a 5" STI Spartan 9mm for IDPA. Of all my firarms it is my favorite and I absolutly love it. Until just recently they are no longer being made. The next model up is the Trojan. I've modified it slightly with a narrow red Dawson fiber optic front, a lighter sear spring, a lighter mag release, and moly applied to the trigger/hammer group. I use Tripp Cobra mags and a Safariland holster. I know there are fancier and more expensive 1911s out there but I am very satisfied with my Spartan. Zero failures, accurate, and smooooth.

CZ 75, 85, SP01, or P09 with Cajun Gun Works pieces

They can all be shot in SSP or ESP very effectively but you will need new mags, carriers, and a holster.

Now if you really want to change it up, buy one of those things that has the round thingy in the middle that holds the bullets.

Now if you really want to change it up, buy one of those things that has the round thingy in the middle that holds the bullets.

I shot SSR for about a year. It's a hoot.

Don't sell your .45. Keep shooting it and improve your skills while you save a couple hundred more bucks. Then look at the STI Trojan, or see if you can find a good used one in your current price range.

My SA Loaded 9 mm with Wilson's mags does the trick for me in IDPA. I switched from a G34 to the 1911 platform for IDPA since 10 rounds per mag is the norm. I skipped on the RO and splurged on the SA Loaded because I did not want another black gun. Last night, I shot it much better than the G34.

The RO and a good gunsmith makes a great shooting experience!

If I was going to go 1911 in 9mm for ESP, I'd look for a double-stack STI. Even with a magwell, I find reloading single-stack 1911s is slower than reloading a double-stack gun. YMMV.

HK VP9, with a couple of extra mags, holster and mag carriers you'd be set for well under $900. The trigger and ergos are great right out of the box. Just add ammo and enjoy.

The trigger and ergos are great right out of the box.

We're going to disagree on that. I absolutely can't stand the HK magazine release. IMO, it is ergonomically horrid.

Edited by M1911

I agree with the CZ comments above. A 75B is a decent platform, but I would go ahead and spring for a 75 Shadow. You can go with an SP-01 (normal, or Shadow version), but you won't be able to add a magwell if you decided to move to ESP. With a 75 Shadow, you can shoot SSP or ESP, plus you'll have a great trigger, FO sights and 3 mags right out of the box, all for around or under $850 OTD. http://oakhillguns.com/pistol/cz-usa/cz-75-shadow-9mm-custom-shop-sa-da-91705.html

Edit: Forgot to add that it comes with an extended safety and mag release, plus it has the capability of adding a stainless steel guide rod.

Edited by TennJeep1618

We're going to disagree on that. I absolutely can't stand the HK magazine release. IMO, it is ergonomically horrid.

I will agree that it's different but I've been carrying an HK for ten years now as a duty gun so the mag release is just second nature now. It's definately just as fast as anything else out there, just have to practice.

I started IDPA with a Beretta M9 and Quickly switched to an STI Ranger III in 9mm.

Barrel is a bit short as is the sight radius but its nice and heavy and cycles very quickly. With a magwell and a bag of magazines I was able to move up quickly. When it came to a match that was going to have targets way in the back, I shot my Trojan in .40 <---- when you are used to a short 1911, a 5" sight picture is a blessing

• 3 weeks later...

I recently bought a CZ P09 from CGW with their Pro Package set up for IDPA and USPSA Production. It was less than $900 including shipping. Only negative issue is P09 mags are $45+ each.

I had great luck with M&P PRO 5inch with APEX trigger also.

I would have to suggest the Glock 34. I have one I use in in IDPA and it is a fantastic weapon. My second choice would be a Smith M&P 9mm. I own Springfield XD and XDS and have mag release problems. To date the factory has not foxed them under warranty. I am using 5 inch barrels and they are very accurate.

Also I have a brand new Bladetech 1500 holster right hand for Glock Gen 4. Ordered it in error. Want $50.00 and I will pay shipping via USPS.. Holster has never been used. I need a Gen 3.

Sam Moceri

Stockbridge, MI 49285

Here are the most popular platforms that I have seen for IDPA.

For SSP:

SP01/Shadow

Glock 34

Canik TP9 SA

M&P Pro

For ESP:

Springfiled 9mm 1911

CZ75 SA/Shadow/Acu Shadow Lite

EAA Tanfoglio 9mm Match Elite

M&P Pro with Apex Trigger

Glock 34 with Glockworx Trigger

M&P Pro with Apex Trigger

I don't care much for the M&P but others seem to do good with it.

The Canik TP9SA is a terrific value and is good to go with just a sight upgrade.

The Sig P320 seems to be a good choice but I do not have any experience with one.

Edited by himurax13

I recently looked for an SSP specific plastic gun under $800. CZ would have been an option, but I didn't want to learn two trigger pulls right now. I wanted a longer sight radius than my XDM 4.5, which I sold to finance it.

These were my options and my reasoning for my choice:

Glock 34 just wouldn't fit my hand and dealers wouldn't let me try different backstraps. Can do trigger job for $20 in parts. Needed sights for my tastes.

M&P Pro 5" An option. The OOB price makes up for the $160 in parts for the needed trigger work. Sights good.

Springfield XDM 5.25" Close, needs about $100 for the trigger. Amazing accessories, but I used the mag pouch for my old 4.5" and nothing else though. Sights were fine.

Fn longslide Needs sights. Aftermarket stuff just not there yet. Grip was actually too aggressive for me and left an impression in my palm for 20 minutes (it was cold though).

Walther PPQ 5" Needed sights. Trigger best of the bunch and usable as is IMO. Best ergonomic grip also IMO.

I ended up with the Walther. Added new sights and a Talon grip. The great ergonomics, I found, actually made it a little hard to hold when the hands were sweaty. The Talon grip completely fixed that though.

Edited by robport

• 2 weeks later...

I will agree that it's different but I've been carrying an HK for ten years now as a duty gun so the mag release is just second nature now. It's definately just as fast as anything else out there, just have to practice.

Agreed.

I'm always amused by those new to HK that try to thumb the release, like an American-style release.