Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I need help choosing a 9mm for IDPA

airforceblue7032

Hello all,

I've been shooting IDPA for less than a year with my S&W 1911 in .45 cal. It's my only pistol and I bought it before I knew anything about IDPA. I also starting hand loading .45 cal at the same time I started IDPA.

I've been kicking around the idea of switching to 9mm. The lower cost of ammo and the lighter recoil has been on my mind this year. My funds are a bit tight so my options are limited. I would like to stay under $900 for a new gun. I also need to consider the added equipment I will need with the new 9mm; Holster, mag pouches, and materials I will need to begin hand loading 9mm.

I'm still on the fence whether or not I want to sell my 1911 and the hand loading dies/primers etc. to finance the new gun. I've done some brief research, and it seems like the best gun for my price range would be the Springfield Range Officer. I also like the STI VIP but that's much to high. If I don't want to stay with the 1911 platform, there are other choices out there. I like the Springfield XD, but I haven't heard much about that gun and if IDPA shooters like it. I know the Glock's are very popular, but I've shot a few of those and did not like them.

Do any of you have some advice? I appreciate any guidance and wisdom you have. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say go for a Range Officer. It's a good gun and you already have all the accessories. I have one in 45 for CDP and love it. Just for kicks try loading your 45 to minor PF and shoot a match with it.

I also have a VIP but mine is a lightweight 45. It is not fun to shoot matches with.

Thanks for the comment. I was thinking the same...I do like the 1911 platform. It just looks bad ass. I load my 45's to meet the minimum PF for IDPA. I know I could load them lighter since I'm not shooting any sanctioned matches, but I figure I should shoot the type of load I would when I eventually do shoot at that level.

When you say your VIP is lightweight, what do you mean and why isn't it fun to shoot matches with?

Limited experience with the M&P. I just can't get used to those triggers. The Apex kit makes it lighter but it's still a long pull and th reset feels mushy on the ones I've tried. Of course I no longer shoot anything but 1911/2011 so I may be biased.

The M&P Pro with the Apex competition trigger kit would be a very good choice for SSP or ESP.

I second this. That said, I did quite well in IDPA with my good 'ol Glock 19 (my EDC). But, you mentioned that you didn't necessarily like Glocks, which is why I second an M&P Pro with Apex trigger kit. Also, I think the STI Trojan 5.0 in 9mm is IDPA legal. It's a great gun - I know . . . I own one :) Admittedly, it may be a few hundred dollars over your $900 target, unless you can find a good used one.

Edited by lawmangr

I got ya. I'm also kicking around buying the M&P 9 Pro Series or the Springfield XD. Have you shot either of those?

The M&P Pro with the Apex competition trigger kit would be a very good choice for SSP or ESP.

^^^ This. Ask around at your club I'm sure someone has one they will let you shoot a couple rounds through. That Apex trigger is soo much like cheating.

What division do you want to compete in? If you want to save money, a Glock 19 for CCP or a Glock 34 for SSP would be well under $900. Of course, you would then need to buy holsters, mag carriers, etc.

If you like the 1911 platform, get the RO and few 9mm mags. You can reuse the rest of your gear.

If you want to change platforms then S&W, Springfiled, and Glock all have good options tha can be modified to be evern better options - go with what fits your hand the best and makes you feel good about your choice. Saving a few bucks getting someting you don't really like is a path to unhappiness.

Another vote for M&P 9pro. The apex hard sear is a must. An absolute must on a standard m&p 9 but I even feel there is an improvement over the pro sear. Several years ago I had a 9L that experienced some FTE issues and kinda scared me off for a while. Last year I switched back and got a pro9. It has been a GREAT gun. Very reliable. I have out appx 5,000 rnds thru it and it just keeps getting better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a XDM 5.25 for IDPA, then added a Glock 17. Then got a M&P Pro 9mm like it better than XDM or Glock. I sold them and 2 M&P pro and a M&P Shield 9mm for carry. All 3 are great gun, the M&P just fits my hand better and I shoot them better.

Mark

Edited by RMark

My son is shooting a Rock Island Tac II in 9mm . Gun comes with adj rear sight , F.o.Front , Magwell,G10 grips . I got him some Wilson 10 rd mags .Al said well under your $900. mark.

Enjoy

Ron

STI Spartan in 9mm with 10 round mags (ESP) or Glock 34 (SSP and/or ESP). Both are relatively inexpensive and both are good shooting guns.

one note I have found is shooters that come from Poly guns- glocks/M&P/X-D ..... Often don't have a problem with the transition to another gun / style i.e 1911/2011 but some individuals that come from the 1911/2011 sometimes can have a bit of a problem with the transition to Poly guns.

My suggestion is get with some of the local shooters and borrow a gun for a month or so before buying one.

If you like the 1911 style weapon then the STI Spartan in 9mm is hard to beat. I shoot mine in IDPA as well as USPSA single stack minor (when not shooting Single Stack Major with one of my other .45 1911's)

A 1911 would allow you to use your existing holsters and mag holders. The M&P is common enough so holsters, parts, etc. are easy to source. I really like my Dawson FO front combination with a 10-8 rear on my Colt Government.

I have a 9mm range officer, it's been a fine gun for the price, and as mentioned, you could most of your existing gear. I prefer the tripps to the wilsons, but have had good luck with metalform 9mm mags too.. the trade off is that they are cheap, and work, but only hold 9 rounds. Otherwise, I think at the $900 price point, you are looking at a striker fired gun of your preference, to be able to get all the gear you need for a match.

Edited by tha1000

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like if I want to stay with the 1911 platform and be under $900, you all are suggesting (not in any order):

1. SA Range Officer

2. Rock Island Tac II

3. STI Spartan

If you had to rank the above, would you say #1 Range Officer, #2 Spartan and #3 Tac II??

I'll have to do some number crunching and see just how much money I'd save in handloading by switching from .45 to 9mm. Maybe I'm only saving a fraction of the cost and buying a new gun really is not called for.

I'm not particular about any other division in IDPA. I understand that I'm competing against only the other 1911's in .45 cal. So do you think there is any competitive edge one can get by shooting a 9mm in ESP than a .45 in CDP??

I have a RO in 45 and a Spartan in 9. The RO is much tighter and a bit more accurate. I shoot the RO tremendously better, no explanation for it I just do.

For me, the only difference in reloading costs is the price of the bullet, around $1 per 100.

I really like CDP, maybe just because I shoot the 45 better. I place the same overall at my local matches. I recently got an Eagle for USPSA so I'm back in ESP in IDPA.

"I'm not particular about any other division in IDPA. I understand that I'm competing against only the other 1911's in .45 cal. So do you think there is any competitive edge one can get by shooting a 9mm in ESP than a .45 in CDP??"

While there is supposedly a complete separation between ESP and CDP and therefore no "competitive edge" most of us do take note of our overall placement. At one time I performed better in CDP, even with the greater recoil and more reloads, than I did in ESP. I made Expert in CDP long before I did in ESP.

So there is no logical reason to buy a new gun. But lots of us just want to.