Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Separate press for decapping?

I agree that there are people who shoot that much - or more - on here. I'm not attempting to start an argument,but, it would be real interesting to see the percentage that shoot - to pick a middle # from your example - over 1,500 rounds per week (78,000 per year)and the percentage that shoot less.

I just use the cheap Lee Reloader press with a Lee Universal decapping die. I think I paid $40 for both of them on Amazon. I built an ejector for it and a little chute to funnel the cases into a bucket after depriming. I also flipped the ring that holds the shell holder in the ram to the other side so the ejector doesnt catch on it. I run the handle with my left hand, and feed cases with the right.

The chute isnt shown in this pic, but it is fast, and if I get it filthy, I dont care.

IMAG0096.jpg

That ejector looks insanely simple! I have a new project (I use the exact same setup for my decapping).

I just use the cheap Lee Reloader press with a Lee Universal decapping die. I think I paid $40 for both of them on Amazon. I built an ejector for it and a little chute to funnel the cases into a bucket after depriming. I also flipped the ring that holds the shell holder in the ram to the other side so the ejector doesnt catch on it. I run the handle with my left hand, and feed cases with the right.

The chute isnt shown in this pic, but it is fast, and if I get it filthy, I dont care.

That ejector looks insanely simple! I have a new project (I use the exact same setup for my decapping).

Yup, works excellent. Its just a piece of steel pallet banding. Heat the end your going to curve just a little with a torch to make it easier to bend. Took me a couple tries to get it the way I wanted.

If your going to feed right handed, eject to the right, youll need to flip the shell holder ring to the other side, and drill a new hole in the ram for it, other wise the ejector will catch on the shell holder retainer. If you need a pic, ask, and Ill put one up.

Edited by Kaldor

I'm a retired LEO and match shooter. Mainly .45ACP. Sense I have more time and hit the range at least once a week I'm one of those that probably shoot more than average. I go through a lot of ammo but am really very new to reloading. When I was competing in the Marine Corp and on my own when I was a cop I had an unlimited number of rounds given to me to shoot. I had an armorer that kept my guns up and did the match ammo for me. It was all fun but I figured out a year and a half ago that I would be supplying my own ammo from here on out. So I bought a 650 and have only put maybe 1500 rounds through it and consider myself a newbie. Thanks to people and this web site that Brian graciously provides its made the process much easier. I'm still working on ammo provided me and only have a couple thousand left till it will be reloading all practice and eventually match ammo. So I haven't had many problems except with depriming with the Dillon die. I have my reloading room upstairs in what used to be a bedroom. One would think it would be cleaner than the garage but I'm finding out that's not so as sinse I don't have a compressor I'm constantly spraying the can of compressed air on anything that has to do with primers. It's amazing how little crud under that primer wheel can get things to a halt. Anyway thanks to all that contribute to this place.