Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark 7 1050 Autodrive

14 hours ago, Quirk said:

My first instinct was to disagree with nuclearheli because...it's an internet forum afterall!  Plus, I've had about 30k thru my 1050 and Mark 7 Pro and the optical sensor, and it's worked flawlessly.

But he's right. It is a cheap looking plastic assembly.  And if you get the Swage Sense, that will pick up on any non-removed primers and stop the press, making the optical sensor station a bit redundant. UNLESS you have removed the swage station for another purpose, etc.   One time I turned off the optical sensor and the primer didn't fully pop out and the Swage Sense stopped it, stating i had a ringer...it was just a non-deprimed case, but that illustrates the redundancy of these sensors

I think you are paying for the Mark 7 integration and R&D etc when you buy that optical sensor.

I don't disagree, I also have over 200,000 rounds thru my 1050 Mark 7 Pro and this is the only part on the entire press that has failed to date. Failed three times.  Not so sure about the R&D comment and integration comment. When you disassemble this part to fix it you will see a standard "off the shelf" optical sensor which a simple internet search showed was available for less than 3 dollars in quantities of 100 or more. The function of this simple optical switch is without question easy to integrate into any digital control.  You can just feel and see the difference when you look at the Swage or even more so the new Bullet sense which is beautifully engineered and built. 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We at Mark 7 are aware of the issues with the original Optical Decapping center and have developed a 2nd generation Decapping Sensor.

This 2nd Gen version will be WAY better than the original and we will replace when ready.

9 hours ago, pmd said:

We at Mark 7 are aware of the issues with the original Optical Decapping center and have developed a 2nd generation Decapping Sensor.

This 2nd Gen version will be WAY better than the original and we will replace when ready.

great...will it be a no-charge upgrade for past buyers of the original optical sensor assembly?

Q

I have the primer sense, simply because it was out well before the swage sense.

Have to agree with the other comments, there is no need for both and the swage sense gives you more bang for the buck.

That having been said, the primer sense is off, but still mounted on my press. I just turned over 20k rounds and have never had a problem with it breaking. Cheesey looking printed plastic yes, but it works.

Wonder if there was something unique to the OP's 1050 base casting that was causing the failure.

As far as MarkVII product support, I've always found it to be prompt and helpful. Marketing and staying in touch with customers, not so much. Still haven't completely forgiven them for the Swage Sense and Bullet Sense release debacles... growing pains.

M

1 hour ago, Want2BS8ed said:

I have the primer sense, simply because it was out well before the swage sense.

Have to agree with the other comments, there is no need for both and the swage sense gives you more bang for the buck.

That having been said, the primer sense is off, but still mounted on my press. I just turned over 20k rounds and have never had a problem with it breaking. Cheesey looking printed plastic yes, but it works.

Wonder if there was something unique to the OP's 1050 base casting that was causing the failure.

As far as MarkVII product support, I've always found it to be prompt and helpful. Marketing and staying in touch with customers, not so much. Still haven't completely forgiven them for the Swage Sense and Bullet Sense release debacles... growing pains.

M

I have to think that enough people have had issues with the part since they admitted in this thread that there are known issues and it's being re-designed. As for me I have always found them to be helpful as well and they have responded to all the issues I have had (growing pains agreed). But they don't take criticism all that well and when you do complain it appears they grow silent. Regardless, my problem is forever resolved. 

14 hours ago, Quirk said:

great...will it be a no-charge upgrade for past buyers of the original optical sensor assembly?

Q

Aaaaaand.....awkward silence....

1 hour ago, Speedmonger said:

Umm yah - particularly on a thread that is not on our servers.  Stuff like this can be posted in our User Group as well...https://www.facebook.com/groups/1099837506745825/

You are right, I stand corrected and withdraw the implication!....it was a lame attempt at humor...and I will remove my size 12s from  my mouth and thanks to Mark 7 for the offer to upgrade the sensor...which I probably would not bother asking for since mine works fine so far.....

:sick:

Q

Umm yah - particularly on a thread that is not on our servers.  Stuff like this can be posted in our User Group as well...https://www.facebook.com/groups/1099837506745825/

So, start a forum on your own servers!

Your reply is about as intelligent as a fence post and proof positive that Mark VII Reloading STILL hasn't learned how to effectively manage their existing customer base.

Good-googly-moogly, let's all leave the de-facto best independent resource for discussing Dillon Reloading presses (not to mention it's a piece of a greater whole) and go running to site that will mine every move you make on the internet in 10 thousand directions only so they can sell it to someone that will drive unwanted advertising content and spam down your throat.

You built a better mouse trap. Solid product, good after sale technical support, but posts like yours continue to make MkVII look like a bunch of amateur muppets.

So now that you have acknowledged to everyone that you are on the forum and admitted your original bracket was defective, when are you going to be sending replacement brackets to everyone that previously purchased an optical decapping sensor?

I'm totally in favor of vendors piping in as they can on these forums, but it'd be nice to have that confirmed by your registration. Dillon Precision weighs in on things regularly.   I guess moderators or someone validated their identity?   It's not readily apparent, to a casual contributor like me, that Speedmonger is, in fact, representing Mark VII by this post alone.

Also, I know that you can't win as a vendor sometimes.  All my experiences with their customer service have been excellent and as small start-up (which is what they must be) overall they rock.

Q

I agree with Nuclearheli and Want2BS8ed.

I had the same things happen and I ground the 1050's casting frame with my dremel tool to achieve a better fit before installing the 2nd sensor, that was kindly provided freely by Mark 7. Number 2 lasted maybe 3 weeks before failing. I look forward to gen 2 replacement.

Like wise I will not join Facebook either. I signed up for the newsletter when I bought my Mark 7 Pro, and have never seen a newsletter. There doesn't seem to much promotion by e-mail to existing customers. Most of my info has come from here, or when I call in with a problem and ask questions about what's new. Perhaps they should add these forums to their server.

9 hours ago, JD1 said:

I agree with Nuclearheli and Want2BS8ed.

I had the same things happen and I ground the 1050's casting frame with my dremel tool to achieve a better fit before installing the 2nd sensor, that was kindly provided freely by Mark 7. Number 2 lasted maybe 3 weeks before failing. I look forward to gen 2 replacement.

Like wise I will not join Facebook either. I signed up for the newsletter when I bought my Mark 7 Pro, and have never seen a newsletter. There doesn't seem to much promotion by e-mail to existing customers. Most of my info has come from here, or when I call in with a problem and ask questions about what's new. Perhaps they should add these forums to their server.

Newsletters go out monthly - please send us a contact form with your email address update if you are not getting it - we dont do more than monthly because we dont want to bother people.  As far as the other comments are concerned, Mark 7's growth did outpace its customer service ability at a certain point but we have caught up on it through hiring.  Its a constant challenge to stay on top of what customers want and need - something we work on each and every day.

September is looking like the date for DecapSense - I've run 30,k thru the sensor so far and love it.

If you now or ever have an issue with a Mark 7 product or interaction PLEASE PM me so I can fix it !

Well, it won't help trollers ;)  

the user group is an active group of customers helping each other with ideas and tactics and stuff.  If you have any questions or things you want to discuss you are always free to PM me here or through the company or a million others ways to get me.

23 hours ago, Speedmonger said:

Well, it won't help trollers ;)  

the user group is an active group of customers helping each other with ideas and tactics and stuff.  If you have any questions or things you want to discuss you are always free to PM me here or through the company or a million others ways to get me.

What if I call you at 3am?  That cool?  

• 4 weeks later...

What do you guys think about pre processing brass with Mark7.  I have read a few post about depriming, swage and sizing on the first pass thru the machine.  Then the 2nd pass fully loads.

A small commercial loading shop that uses 1050s recommended this 2 stage process but suggested priming on the first pass also.

I did that once...I quickly minimally cleaned the brass first, by putting it in a tumbler and soapy water WITHOUT pins for just 20 minutes. Dried it, then deprimed, resized, swaged/expanded, and even belled on pass one on the 1050/Mark 7.  Then cleaned with stainless steel pins in a tumbler. Brass looked awesome. Then I loaded. The advantage was that I didn't need to lube the 2nd time because I wasn't working the brass at all on the loading pass. so there was no sticking at the powder funnel/bell station like there is with super-clean brass, because I set the funnel to not bell just drop powder.

but for 9mm pistol, it was a lot of effort just for looks. Did it once, more as an experiment. Don't do it anymore.

I DO SS tumble first now, and use Hornady One-Shot lube before I reload these clean cases.   No problems with One-Shot, I don't clean it off afterwards, and never had any problems. part of my QA as I prepare to dump the brass in the case feeder is to pour the brass over a small tray with .40 cal ammo trays from empty factory ammo boxes. There is a youtube video by a guy on this, it's a great technique for 9mm.

The 9mm cases end up mouth up most of the time, and then I raise them to my eye and can pluck out any .380 that made it through. I then spray One-Shot briefly into this array (200 cases at a time) so some gets INSIDE the case mouth..that prevents the powder funnel stick...then I dump them into a contrainer and spray a bit more and agitate them to get the lube on the outside, for the resizing benefit.

Quirk

15 hours ago, andersonj55126 said:

What do you guys think about pre processing brass with Mark7.  I have read a few post about depriming, swage and sizing on the first pass thru the machine.  Then the 2nd pass fully loads.

A small commercial loading shop that uses 1050s recommended this 2 stage process but suggested priming on the first pass also.

That's exactly what I do.  I have a separate toolhead set-up for processing and do this in bulk a couple times per year.  Then I use my toolhead set-up for priming and loading on a second pass as needed.  Since I run exclusively range brass and load 9 major, I take the additional step of running it all through a casepro before it sees the Mark7 - again in bulk, a couple times per year.