Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet seperation from case

Mahlsan

Just loaded some dummy rounds, no powder, no primer, bullet only, as I am switching to load to 9mm major. In my storm lake barrel they feed and extract fine. In my two lone wolf barrels they get stuck and the bullet comes out of the brass. The bullets are 124gr tc bayou bullets. Loaded out to 1.5. Never had this issue before, I loaded some dummy 135 gr rn and did not see this. I don't want to over crimp. Any help would be appreciated, before I ship the barrels to be reamed out.

Let me double check. The oal again. But they thing I am confused about is that they feed and plunk fine in the storm lake, and they the oal is what I normaly use for round nose. Could it be the profile?

Just shortened some to 1.135 spin free in the storm lake. Same problem in the lone wolf. Oh well looks like these are only going to fit the storm lake barrel. The line wolf top will have to stay minor with plated.

Sarge is right, it should be shorter. Are u sure about 7 of WAC? I would check that, I haven't shot an Open Glock in a while but I know a few guys shooting them but loading in the high 6s. Remember if you change any component of your reload, you need to start low again and work up slow watching for pressure and use a Chrono.

The 7gr seems to be the max. Am going to start the process of building today. Start from 6gr and go in .1 increments. Just wasn't sure I could load that short 1.10. Will probably make two runs at 1.10 and one at 1.135

The 7gr seems to be the max. Am going to start the process of building today. Start from 6gr and go in .1 increments. Just wasn't sure I could load that short 1.10. Will probably make two runs at 1.10 and one at 1.135

It seems you still aren't clear on what's happening here; why not find the Max OAL for each bullet and barrel combination, and keep a record of it for each bullet/gun combo?

This is one way to determine max OAL: http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=34225.msg189131#msg189131

You can likely send the LW barrels back to have them reamed - they seem to be well known for short/tight chambers.

The dummy rounds should also be "crimped."

Sorry to tell you, but the chamber/throat of one barrel can be quite different from another.

Until several folks tell me to stop, I will just add:

Per Ramshot:

"SPECIAL NOTE ON CARTRIDGE OVERALL LENGTH “COL”

It is important to note that the SAAMI “COL” values are for the firearms and ammunition manufacturers industry and must be seen as a guideline only.

The individual reloader is free to adjust this dimension to suit their particular firearm-component-weapon combination.

This parameter is determined by various dimensions such as

1) magazine length (space),

2) freebore-lead dimensions of

the barrel,

3) ogive or profile of the projectile and

4) position of cannelure or crimp groove.

• Always begin loading at the minimum "Start Load".

• Increase in 2% increments towards the Maximum Load.

• Watch for signs of excessive pressure.

• Never exceed the Maximum Load."

Your COL (OAL) is determined by your barrel (chamber and throat dimensions) and your gun (feed ramp) and your magazine (COL that fits magazine and when the magazine lips release the round for feeding) and the PARTICULAR bullet you are using. What worked in a pressure barrel or the lab's gun or in my gun has very little to do with what will work best in your gun.

Take the barrel out of the gun. Create two inert dummy rounds (no powder or primer) at max COL and remove enough case mouth flare for rounds to chamber (you can determine this by using an empty sized case, expand and flare, and remove the flare just until the case "plunks" in the barrel).

Drop the inert rounds in and decrease the COL until they chamber completely. This will be your "max" effective COL. I prefer to have the case head flush with the barrel hood.

You can also do this for any chambering problems you have. Remove the barrel and drop rounds in until you find one that won't chamber. Take that round and "paint" the bullet and case black with Magic Marker or other marker. Drop round in barrel (or gage) and rotate it back-and-forth.

Remove and inspect the round:

1) scratches on bullet--COL is too long

2) scratches on edge of the case mouth--insufficient crimp

3) scratches just below the case mouth--too much crimp, you're crushing the case

4) scratches on case at base of bullet--bullet seated crooked due to insufficient case expansion (not case mouth flare) or improper seating stem fit

5) scratches on case just above extractor groove--case bulge not removed during sizing. May need a bulge buster.