Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

More than one xl650?

I sold a gun to buy some more Dillon conversions. After pricing quickchange kits, conversion, etc. The amount is up over $400, could buy a brand-new XL 650 set up for 223 for $560. Then swap case feeder between presses and have one machine for small primers and one for large. I can't be the only one with this reasoning out there. Anyone else running 2 Dillons?

Not running two xl650's, but I recently added a xl650 to my inventory.

s1050

9mm

.223/300aac brass processing

xl650

10mm

550b

45 Colt

.454 Casull

.357sig

.223/300aac reloading

A s1050/xl650 for each caliber would be ideal, but not very realistic :(

~g

Edited by safeactionjackson

i run two 650's just b/c i am too lazy to switch over priming systems. but now that i shoot less, i think i can make due with one press. i have a complete backup priming system, so i wouldn't have to change over the priming disks, i would just have to switch over the primer punch, which to me can be a pain. if you shoot a lot, it's worth it to have two. i shot a lot of 9mm and 45acp when i was a member of a private range so i was constantly loading.

I have two. One bought 20 years ago and the other ten years old. Originally planned as small and large primer. I load large primers so seldom that they are both set up for small primers. One is set up for .223 or 300 BO. The other is used for my pistol calibers.

And do you other guys still keep a single stage around too? I have 3 single stages I had been using for rifle rounds but want to do my bulk 223 and 308 on an xl650 now. But for my long range 308 loads wondering if I should still keep a single stage around.

Not Dillon, but I have 2 Hornady LNL-AP's, I shoot alot of 9mm and 38 Special, it's just nice not to have to re-set anything, just rock up and start loading whenever you feel like it.

I've got 2 650s each with it's own casefeeder. One RCBS Rockchucker for precision stuff & one lee single stage for sizing cast bullets.

Is handy having 2 650s. I've thought on occasion of selling one but never seriously considered it.

And do you other guys still keep a single stage around too? I have 3 single stages I had been using for rifle rounds but want to do my bulk 223 and 308 on an xl650 now. But for my long range 308 loads wondering if I should still keep a single stage around.

i keep my RCBS Rockchucker around to develop loads. Once i test/chrono the loads, then i bulk load on a 650. i also pull bullets using the RCBS if needed. it's useful to have a single stage around.

I run three - two small primer and one large - pretty much leave them set up in a given caliber. 45 ACP full time to feed the pistols and Thompsons. One that I di a large run of 30 carbine, the n swapped to 9mm. Finishing up a large run of 40 S&W on the last one, soon to be 380 ACP. I also use 3 550s for rifle caliber stuff. 303 Brit, 8mm mauser, 8mm lebel, ( still working on that) 45-70, 30 -06, 308 /7.62 , 223, ( have buckets of commercial brass) . Have to look at costs, I can buy 30 cal Ball for under .50/rd, does not pay to load it. Got cans of tracer bullets for the MGs, so cheap loading for the Browning family..

• 1 month later...

I have 2 550's one for small and one for large primers works like a champ. The only trouble I ran into was my first 550 is about 25 years old the second one is only a few years old I cant interchange blocks from one to the other without

resetting my dies my shell plate makes contact with my resizing die before it gets to full down position. That's why I set one for Large and one for small.

The only trouble I ran into was my first 550 is about 25 years old the second one is only a few years old I cant interchange blocks from one to the other without

resetting my dies my shell plate makes contact with my resizing die before it gets to full down position.

I have a 2nd 550 on my wish list but your comment concerns me. This is the first time I heard about the need to reset dies.

What did Dillon change and why? My plan was one 550 with large primers and the second 550 with small primers. And when I'm loading a large batch of .223, use the new press to size deprime and trim and the old press to finish the rounds.

When did they make the change (might look for a used press instead of a new one).

The change between old press and new press can easily be worked around, but still, why the changes?

Thanks.

Bill