Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

for those with M&P 9 & 40's. what do u prefer and why

RandyLahey

My first M&P was a new FS 9mm bought from PSA last November or so. I really enjoyed the gun and it seemed reasonably accurate. After putiing an apex fss and polymer trigger kit in, the gun was unleased into a beast. Really fell in love with it at that point, as I could be reasonably accurate given my skill level. While browsing slick guns one night, I happened upon the buds police trade 40's. On a whim I ordered one not really expecting to enjoy shooting it that much, as I had always been "told" that 40's are hard to control. But, being hard headed, and needing to "know for myself" how good or bad the 40 was, after all there IS quite a following for the 40cal SW; I ordered it.

The 40 I received was an older model with the super crappy trigger but the night sights work and even with the craptastic trigger, I really enjoyed shooting it. Frankly it seemed more accurate than my 9mm but yes it did have more recoil but follow up shots weren't horrible and I'm no speed shooter. I must admit, the extra power was kind of a rush, adolescent thrill seeking maybe???

After putting on an Apex kit and various bits to get that to work, modding the trigger bar etc, I think the 40 is now my favorite pistol. Am I nuts? 9mm is easier for me to reload at this point just due to how my presses are setup at this point. Maybe its just the newness factor as well. Maybe in part I need to bump up my mousefart loads in the 9mm as during drills at our local club I was having issues turning the steel on one of the trees, whereas the 40 just laughs at the challenge. So to as not neglect the 9 I have new sights to put on once my sight tool comes in and I got some new powders to play with ;)! Now I'm considering a pro 5" model, but honestly I don't need one, but need and want battle often and want seems to bully need into submission in most cases.

If I get a pro, I'm leaning towards the 40 and ,maybe picking up a conversion barrel for 9mm to get to shoot both. Just wondering if anyone has had similar findings or maybe you had the opposite reaction? Just curious I guess.

Edited by RandyLahey

I have 5 M&Ps. I once had 6. I'm a one platform kind of guy too, but I'm considering getting a CZ. STIs are out of my price range. I may get a Glock someday too, but at least with CZs, I'd be shooting a hammer gun instead of a striker gun, which is different. For striker, I don't have a compelling reason to get a XDM, Glock or even a Sig. And as much as FNH supports the shooting sports, I don't have a compelling reason to get the FNS either as the M&P is as good as the other striker guns I mentioned, at least in my opinion. The M&P is what felt best in my hand when I was first looking so that is what I've committed to for now.

With stock barrels the 40 will definitely out shoot the 9 for accuracy. That is what I have experienced in my Pros. Once I put Storm Lake barrel in my 9 pro the accuracy greatly improved. I enjoy shooting the 9 the most. It is such a soft shooting pistol with 128PF loads.

I shoot my M&P40 in USPSA. Otherwise it's M&P9 or 9c for everything else. I prefer the 9. I only shoot the 40 because I don't want to be penalized for shooting minor.

I have xdm's and m&p's, and cz's have been calling my name lately. I like 9. It's "cheaper," it's easier to find (for me), higher capacity, the list goes on.

The recoil argument is negligible, power factor is power factor. Yes force equals mass times acceleration but a 165pf load is a 165pf load regardless of diameter or weight.

I used to hate forty, if it wasn't for the .40cal requirement to shoot major I wouldn't own any. I was of the mindset of if I wanted firepower I would shoot 45 and if I wanted capacity I would shoot 9. Because of that I thought 40 was a middle of the road round in all regards. Now, when 40 is the smallest diameter you can shoot and make major, it's beneficial to shoot exactly that In order to achieve the most capacity.

I think in the end it depends what division you want to shoot? Assuming you want to shoot in competition. Production: get a 9, not a 40 with the conversion. Limited: 40. L10: I say 45! Open: back to 9mm.

If I'm you and buying a new pro, it would be a 9. Just my .02

My 40s have outshot the 9.

I carry a FS 40 when off duty, train with a M&P 22 and compete with a 5" Pro. Sold the 9's. The 22 and the Pro have the same sights - the carry gun has tritium.

For me, the M&P is what I wanted the Glock to be. Outside of Bullseye, I've retired my 1911s.

My two cents, worth every penny.

Mark

I've had 4 m&p's, at various times. I still have my m&p .40 compact that I've had for close to 7 years. I've upgraded it with

trijicon sights and the apex duty kit. It's still my carry gun. I've also bought an m&p shield in 9mm. Sad thing is I haven't even shot it yet and I've had it close to a year. I really need to shoot more!! I also owned an m&p pro in 9mm and the m&p22. For me, they just point a lot better than a Glock. Although, next time I can get my hands on a Glock 19 again, I'll probably do it.

I have 5 lowers and 8 or so uppers, 5"+, 5", 4.25, and compact. 9's and 40's. If you decide to go with a .40 Pro or CORE, you can drop a factory 9mm barrel in for well under $100 and be running both calibers out of the same slide. Can't put the .40 barrel in the 9mm slide though. I'm with the others who have posted in favor of the platform. Pretty sure I don't "need" all of them, but I greatly enjoy all the options.

I've also bought an m&p shield in 9mm. Sad thing is I haven't even shot it yet and I've had it close to a year.

Holy cow!!!!

You have owned a gun for a year and not shot it... I can't even imagine the pain

I have a 9Pro and 40Pro. One has the Apex FSS and the other is stock with the Burwell home trigger job. I' have swapped uppers and lowers to get different configurations for different games (Apex lower and 9mm upper for 3-gun & IDPA ESP, Apex lower and 40 upper for USPSA Lim, stock lower and 9mm upper for USPSA production & IDPA SSP). I now shoot a custom 1911 9mm for IDPA ESP and custom 2011 for USPSA Lim so the Pro's are mostly used as back up guns now except for 3-gun. For me the Pro's shoot just as well as the custom guns.

I also have 1911's in 40S&W and 45ACP, as well as revolvers, 22lr, and compact 380 & 9mm pistols. If could only have two hand guns it would be the two M&P Pro's, if only one gun it would be one of the Pro's but not sure which one.

• 2 months later...

I don't shoot competition, so my perspective is that.

I have three M&Ps. First was a .40 Compact. Followed by a full size M&P forty. Then a .45 Compact. I have Glocks in nine, forty, and .45. Don't like the Glocks in .40... not enjoyable to shoot. The M&P forties, however, are fabulous. Never fired an M&P9, but I'm sure they're nice. But the M&P forties are so comfortable shooting, with good capacity, and a potent caliber, that I have no motivation to acquire an M&P in nine. Among my highest rated carry guns are my M&Ps in forty! (The Edge in .40 is an amazing gun, just slightly cumbersome for EDC.)

Edited by DHart

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got an M&P 40FS that I've dropped in an APEX sear and aluminum trigger. Had to clean up the striker block channel to finally get rid of the gritty trigger but now it is a nice, smooth 4 lb trigger pull with just a little creep. If I had to do anything different, I think I'd opt for the APEX polymer trigger instead of the aluminum. The polymer seems to be more rounded instead of the sides of the aluminum trigger being more squared off. This forces me to hold my finger perpendicular to the trigger in order to release the catch. I know, it is better for trigger control but I have to pull near the tip of my finger instead of closer to the first joint. Maybe if I put the small grips on, it would help??? Mediums are on now.