Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open 9mm what bullet weight is your favorite

gzo

124gr. I can't really tell the difference between it, and the 121. Interestingly, same powder charge gave exactly the same PF with these two.

Edited by Foxbat

There is the results of an equipment poll in a recent Front Sight and the majority of open shooters use 124/125 grain bullets.

There were a lot fewer 115 grain bullet users that I would have figured. I don't recall the exact specifics, but someone here probably has the magazine handy.

I think this poll was for all open shooters so that would include the 38s and the 9maj - but I believe the split was equal at 49% to 49%.

@ Bamboo if the poll includes IPSC open schooters this can be explaned by the fact that for open major in ipsc the minimum weight

is 120 grain .

So in IPSC we can not use 115 grain bullets in major .

Edited by Tino2212

Tino2212 - Yeah, I wasn't sure where the poll was from but I had a chance to look it up and it is in the Mar/April vol 32 No. 2 edition of the Front Sight Magazine of USPSA.

The poll is from the 2014 Handgun Nationals Survey. In open division 85% used 121/124/125 grain bullets, while 11% used 115 grainers. 9maj vs 38s was tied with 49% each.

Hello: I like 115's with HS-6, Silhouette, and Auto Comp. I may try some Alliant powders next as soon as they become available. Lots of big name shooters shoot 124/125's since they shoot IPSC also and are used to how they shoot. Thanks, Eric

HS6 and 115's, is the best load for dot tracking. Kneelingatlas have you compared your hits on a target? I also thought that the 115's were harsh, but I can do an 18 yard bill drill with .19 and .20 splits with 115's and keep them in the Azone. I have tried the same drill with 124's and have to slow down to.25 and .26 to get the same performance.

I started with MG 124s and HS6. Tried lots of different configurations, went to 115s for a while (shot a total of about 10K) and just could not get use to them. They did shoot flat but it just felt so violent and worse with WAC. I switched back to 124s this year and I'm much happier. The dot movement is almost the same but it's more "predictable" to me so I like it better. So it's MG 124s and HS6 for many years to come...

I will be the exception here, as I shoot 3gun almost exclusively so am not worried about Major PF. I shoot 95gr Montana Gold HPs in front of enough Power Pistol to get 1430fps. SUPER flat comp action, without much recoil. Always knocks down poppers without issue, and will flip an MGM spinner in 7 seconds

I am a huge fan of 115s for 9-Major. I started with 124s when I had my first open gun built as I knew it was safe and that was what most others were using. After shooting for a few months, i decided to give 115s a try and it blew my mind. The gun recoiled MUCH faster and more predictably. I had a slight amount of dot dip so I went from a 10lb recoil spring to an 8lb. At that point, I had perfect dot tracking...it went right to the top of the glass and back to center. I decided to drill 2 popple holes (small...1/8") and the dot tracking stayed exactly the same, but everything seemed to happen more quickly. Next step was going from a plastic MSH and aluminum magwell to a steel MSH and brass magwell which made a significant difference in the smoothness of my transitions. I ran the PF up to 175-178 with either 9.3gr HS6 or 10.5gr AA#7 and I have a gun that perfectly matches my shooting style.....loud and amusing for the other shooters

I'm with TyShoots and Desmo412. I shot 124's for a long time and it seemed no matter what I did, could not get my splits below .24. After changing to 115Gr, my splits hit .17 overnight. Been shooting that weight since and have switched from Montana Gold to Zero for significantly better accuracy. Then I switched from WAC to HS6 and didn't notice any difference in anything. I'm back to WAC because of cost.

I'm with TyShoots and Desmo412. I shot 124's for a long time and it seemed no matter what I did, could not get my splits below .24. After changing to 115Gr, my splits hit .17 overnight. Been shooting that weight since and have switched from Montana Gold to Zero for significantly better accuracy. Then I switched from WAC to HS6 and didn't notice any difference in anything. I'm back to WAC because of cost.

I'm surprised you didn't notice much of a difference between Autocomp and HS6. I messed with WAC with both 124s and 115s and I could never get a load to feel anywhere near as nice as HS6 (9.3gr), 3N37 (8.8gr), or AA#7 (10.5gr). What kind of power factor and recoil spring weight are you running?

Agreed on the MG vs Zero comment, but I will probably be going to Precision Delta when I run low for the savings (340 vs 370 / Case of 4K)

I'm surprised you didn't notice much of a difference between Autocomp and HS6. I messed with WAC with both 124s and 115s and I could never get a load to feel anywhere near as nice as HS6 (9.3gr), 3N37 (8.8gr), or AA#7 (10.5gr). What kind of power factor and recoil spring weight are you running?

Agreed on the MG vs Zero comment, but I will probably be going to Precision Delta when I run low for the savings (340 vs 370 / Case of 4K)

+1

Sent from the range