Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

fast 308 readings

usmc1974

I took my Savage R5 model 10 fcp out to chrino I was using Nosler 175 BTHP bc 505 44 grains Varget neck sized lapua brass OAl 2.830 Hodgdon says right at 2600fps. I got a might more. using a Chrony F1 chronograph new battary 15 feet from the muzzle my average vel of 10 shots was 2867 no pressure signs and VERY accurate.

Provided you are shooting a 24" barrel then that is a little on the high side of velocity. Remember that Lapua brass is thicker and has less case capacity then some other kinds of commercial brass. If you think that everything looks ok then you can consider keeping on shooting it. You are going to get less brass life with that kind of load and you will likely find that you are going to have to FL size the brass to keep things running smooth and consistent. Know that you are most likely running on the hot side of things to say the least.

Lol yea to say the least. I am going to run some factory xm80 the lc 149fjm with known vel 2700 stuff just to be sure the F1 is working correctly. Other then that I have a great comp so recoil is very lite.

Scale is a Hornady GS-350 it came with a 10g calibration weight and I use it at the start of every reload run.it is a +-one tenth of one grain digital scale. I wish I had a second chronograph. I took one of the fired cases cleaned it and ran it though my ns sizer die and it resized easy and was not stretched at all and a new primer went in firmly. I don't believe it is going 2867 more like 2767

Usmc in the past I heard the R5 barrel is fast but man the number you listed look on the high side.

You might want to try to use 2 chronographs in a row set the F1 first at 12 feet then the second one after see if you can borrow one from a friend.

I done that to check my F1 using my friend Ohler 35 worked good for me. F1 was high by under 15 feet during the checks.

In my 308 10 FP 24" I run the 175 SMK at about the 2620 with 43.8 gr Varget and the JBM actual drop calculation chart very close I would say under .5 MOA on the low side mainly you can see that at the 1000 yrd depend on the atmospheric conditions for that day I am shooting.

Usmc in the past I heard the R5 barrel is fast but man the number you listed look on the high side.

You might want to try to use 2 chronographs in a row set the F1 first at 12 feet then the second one after see if you can borrow one from a friend.

I done that to check my F1 using my friend Ohler 35 worked good for me. F1 was high by under 15 feet during the checks.

In my 308 10 FP 24" I run the 175 SMK at about the 2620 with 43.8 gr Varget and the JBM actual drop calculation chart very close I would say under .5 MOA on the low side mainly you can see that at the 1000 yrd depend on the atmospheric conditions for that day I am shooting.

I think you maybe right so, Pro Chrono Competition Electronics Prochrono Digital Chronograph on the way.

I ran my load over a new calibrated, Pro Chrono Competition Electronics Prochrono Digital Chronograph looked much better. Going 2746 average velocity of 10 shot string. with a SD of 14

Nice work usmc1974 I would say this is were the 5r barrel shin over my original Savage 10 FP 24" barrel. I wish I can get the 2746 FPS out of my 308 and the 175 SMK.

Now all what you need is to stretch it and see if the calculation matches.

Keep us posted

Nice work usmc1974 I would say this is were the 5r barrel shin over my original Savage 10 FP 24" barrel. I wish I can get the 2746 FPS out of my 308 and the 175 SMK.

Now all what you need is to stretch it and see if the calculation matches.

Keep us posted

Thanks,ars1...... I am going to spearpoint ranches, long range match tomorrow stage 1 is 400 out 1400 16"x18" steel. after that all of the stages ( 7 of them) will be 400 to about 700 on small steel. A ipsc size paper mover at 339. We will see. I never seem to make it out to 1400 because you only have 5 minutes to do all your math and get a good sight picture and a good trigger squeeze and fire 2 rounds at each target. I mostly end up around 1000. but for now I am good with that.

www.spearpointranch.com

I load 44.5gr varget, win brass, 175 SMKs, 2.86oal and get 2660fps from a 26" barrel. Velocity readings from an ohler 3 gate chronograph about 10ft from the muzzle.

your numbers don't sound right.

Match went well chrono numbers was correct. The strelok ballistic calculator was dead on the money. I did time out on stage 1 but I got to 800. Some of those boys must sleep with their rifles.lol

Archived