Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nordic Barrel Question

Iggy42

Since my Ultramatch, and its RMA'd replacement have issues with the feed ramps for reasons in my sig I am planning on going to a Nordic barrel.

That said is anyone running one with a standard BCG? I know the gas port is reduced and I am concerned with it having enough...ummph to cycle my Youngs Manufact standard BCG. I am using a Rainier Lo pro gas block - fixed gas

I run a standard bcg with my Nordic barrel and Carbon arms gas block. Standard rifle buffer would short stroke. I removed weights and dropped buffer weight to 2.9 oz and rifle functioned fine. Since then I have tested with down to an empty buffer and I am currently running a Taccom ulw buffer. So far no problems but I'm only 300 rounds into it with the current setup.

I run a standard bcg with my Nordic barrel and Carbon arms gas block. Standard rifle buffer would short stroke. I removed weights and dropped buffer weight to 2.9 oz and rifle functioned fine. Since then I have tested with down to an empty buffer and I am currently running a Taccom ulw buffer. So far no problems but I'm only 300 rounds into it with the current setup.

Well currently I am running a standard JP captured spring

I've got a 18" Nordic with the Carbon Arms gas block and am also running a JP captured spring and it has run perfectly since assembled.

The upper is a side charge LAR and it came with the bolt and bolt carrier so when I say standard I really haven't compared them to any others as far as weight goes.

I've ran the 18" nordic barrel with a standard carrier and standard rifle recoil with no issues. No adjustable gas.

I'm also now running it with no adjustable gas, a voodoo light carrier and an empty rifle buffer, again with no issues.

• 4 weeks later...

Well my Nordic is on the way

Hopefully I won't have any issues running it with my Gas Hog, fixed gas and Youngs Standard BCG. Plus a steady diet of Freedom 77gr .223

I know I don't need to go that heavy of a round - I have always preferred heavier bullets

How's the recoil fellas running standard BCG's?

With my setup recoil is very mild, much flatter than the Stag barrel the Nordic replaced. But barrel, comp, buffer, and buffer spring are all completely different on the 2 setups.

Thanks guys.....I'm just trying to keep things as simple as possible and would like to avoid the adjustable gas block thing...maybe use a lightened BCG and tune spring/buffer combo

Since my Ultramatch, and its RMA'd replacement have issues with the feed ramps for reasons in my sig I am planning on going to a Nordic barrel.

That said is anyone running one with a standard BCG? I know the gas port is reduced and I am concerned with it having enough...ummph to cycle my Youngs Manufact standard BCG. I am using a Rainier Lo pro gas block - fixed gas

the gas port is not reduced. I read that somewhere too. I did not want to have to use an adjustable gas block either. but that is not the case on either their 16" or their 18"

both shoot awesome, very accurate. but they don't have reduced port sizes. my next barrel will come with a gas port drilled so that i can drill it myself. the somehow claim that it is reduced, although it doesn't say anything about that on their website.

Edited by StravIs09

This is from Carbon Arms website listing for the Nordic 18"-

This 416R Stainless Steel barrel is 18" long with a rifle length gas system. The gas port was specified at a smaller diameter thereby creating a softer shooting rifle without the need for an adjustable gas block.

Not on Nordic's website listing, but I trust Carbon Arms enough to believe that the Nordic barrels they sell have the reduced port size.

Thanks guys.....I'm just trying to keep things as simple as possible and would like to avoid the adjustable gas block thing...maybe use a lightened BCG and tune spring/buffer combo

I ran it with a standard gas block, BCG, buffer, and spring for about 6months with it working excellent. Just re-installed my upper on my son's rifle after his barrel starting giving him accuracy problems with a Seekins lightened BCG, RCA adjustable gas key opened quite a bit, and pulled out all of the weights in his buffer using the standard spring and ran a couple of hundred rounds thru it with it running perfect. Softer shooting, but hard to tell until he shoots it in a match. Probably going to go with a Taccom ALW buffer setup eventually. Very accurate with 55gr XM193 rounds. Hitting a 2" circle @ 200 yards on the head of an IPSC target.

One thing is the Wylde chamber was very tight and took several hundred rounds before it loosened up, never failed or had an ejection problems, but you could feel it when you manually ejected a round.

gerritm