Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super 1050 How much time? Going from 9mm to 45ACP

I am trying to talk myself into getting a used 1050.

I run a Hornady LNL w/Casefeeder now. Works fine but looking for stability mainly.

There is always something it seems I need to dink with,,,I am very experienced on it but still..

I would set up tool heads for 223, 9mm and 45acp.

After I get familiar with the 1050 how long would it take to go from 9mm to 45acp?

(toolhead swap, shell plate, casefeeder, and priming system)

I went through exactly the same transition last summer. I switched from a LNL with case feeder to a used RL 1050. Like you, I set up toolheads in .223, 9mm, 45.

Frankly, I think switching dies among just one toolhead is faster than switching toolheads. I can't seem to get the toolhead swap to go smoothly without a lot of juggling, tugging, and persuading the toolheads to move out and into the correct position.

After reading stuff on the internet, I dreaded the primer system switch, but it turns out it is not so bad. Took me about 45 minutes the first time, and about 30 minutes of that was to look at everything, see how stuff works, and clean out the system really well. I was surprised by the huge amount of primer dust that had built up in the system. Now, it takes me about 20 minutes to switch the primer system and clean out the dust.

So it takes me about 20 minutes for the priming system and about 60 minutes for the toolhead, case feeder shuttle, and shell plate - about half that time is spent cleaning, wiping, and re-greasing everything.

As a former Hornady user, I'm so grateful for the primer seating adjustment feature of the 1050. Ditching the Hornady LNL-AP was the best reloading hobby move that I've ever made.

Edited by Gilligan

Maybe an hour. Most of that in the priming system. Unlike the other poster, I find swapping tool heads easy and take a minute to two. Key is to remove the stud that operates the priming mechanism, put the toolhead on then screw the stud back in. I can swap calibers with the same primer size in about 10-15 minutes

Though I removed the ratchets & anything involved with it, a good wipe down & re-greasing the necessary parts - 30 minutes from 9 to large primer 45. This includes the changing the swage rod & separate toolheads for each caliber.

Changing over the primer system really isn't that bad....

Interesting to hear the responses. I am not fast when I do this scenario on my Hornady LNL.

I never timed myself but I take 30 minutes (mainly adjusting the casefeeder). Too bad the threads on the toolheads allowed the use of Hornady quick change inserts (I assume they can not be utilized).

I am 90% convinced I will jump in and get a Super 1050

If anyone has a deal PM me please i live in Denver Colorado

Having the right tools helps tremendously.

I have a 1/4 and 3/8 ratchet specific for my machines. I have the specific socket for the tool head(1 1/8 I think it is, but maybe its only 7/8). I have long and short hex head sockets. I have long ball end hex end sockets.

You cant really get a normal wrench on the tool head bolt without removing at least 1, if not 2 dies, hence the socket and extension.

And trying to remove the myriad of hex head bolts/screws with the little hex head wrenches just sucks. Get the long and short sets as well as a long ball end set and you can break a machine down in 5-10 minutes.

You're correct, Hornady die bushings can't be used on the Dillon tool head. That's a good thing, though. When I got rid of the die bushings (LNL-AP and converted Rock Chucker) both my post-resizing shoulder position and the bullet seating measurements became much more consistent. The die bushings introduce quite a bit of slop - take a look at how much they travel up and down when you're using your LNL-AP. My LNL-AP also suffered from occasional press bushing lug cracks. That gave my dies even more room to move around during use.

I have an RL 1050 since 1999, using dedicated toolheads, to swap toolhead, case feeder, shell plate and case plate, around 30 minutes (does not include bullet feeder, I just have one in 9mm that is attached to one toolhead). Changing priming system, another 20 minutes. I have toolheads for 38SC, 40, 45 and 223. Does not include changing swage rod which I only use when I am dealing with a big lot of crimped brass.

Edited by dvc4you

Wow. I didn't realize there was that much time involved in the 1050 changes.

I run two 550's (one large one small primer). I have quick change kits for several calibers. I have debated getting a 1050, but I wouldn't want that kind of change over time. I can change calibers in less than 60 seconds on the 550's.

I guess if you load a couple thousand at a time it would be worth it. I usually don't load more than 4-500.

• 4 weeks later...

Disclaimer:

I started this thread before I bought my Super 1050 (actually I bought a second a few days after getting my 1st. one).

I have only made 1K of 9mm, and had the presses for a few weeks so I DO NOT have much experience.

Aric this is what I have learned is a short amount of time.

A big part of the equation is a persons mechanical ability. I am mechanically inclined, and find the 1050 not hard to understand.

By design you have to do a few extra steps compared to a Hornady LNL AP (previous primary press) but the steps are EASY.

There are several Youtube vids on the 1050, 15% are VERY VERY good, there is a great one I saw yesterday on lubrication/disassembly (starting to ramble sorry).

It appears most 1050 owners have a toolhead setup for each caliber along with the powder drop. That extra toolhead is a tad over $200 and if you put a dedicated powder drop about another $70.00

You can save $$$ and pull the dies and readjust the powder drop (never done it but srewing in dies with lockrings and adjusting powder for pistol may take 15 mins. tops, but going between pistol and rifle you would need to change the powder bar to throw a bigger charge (10 mins) fidling with the charge weight will take a couple minutes...

If you spring for the dedicated toolheads with powder drop the time to swap drops significantly going between pistol and rifle.

The priming between .40 S&W and 223 is the same so no need to change priming system. Just pull the toolhead, change plate, and the case pusher (too new to know the name), so 15 mins. is my newby guess with a dedicated toolhead.

Most people I think take longer because they are not timing themselves and are also doing cleaning and lubrication on the press...which is not time consuming at all.

The priming system is a lot simpler that I expected. That is all I can say I have yet to swap from small primers to large.

Even with my small amount of experience I do want to praise Dillon for the simple and very functional case feeder. After that shell drops and it gets pushed to the shell plate, SIMPLICIY OF DESIGN!

Would I be best served with two, one for 40 and one for .223? I am mechanically inclined and youtube videos are a great resource.

You dont have to change the primer setup or the swage(just need at adjust it, and .40 REALLY doesnt even need it).

So: 10 minutes, maybe 15 to go from 40 to .223 or back. Its a tool head, shell plate, case feeder change over. Really takes no time at all.

I was caught off guard by how smoooooth the unit is. The need to keep the beast fed with primers is a piece to consider to keep tne production moving... There was a time when i thought the price of the RF100 was too high.. Tne guy i bought my second 1050 from had two RF100's one for small and large. He wad selling both i bought the one for small, i wished i bought both. An engineering marvel.. I bought the large primer conversion but i see how having dedicated units would be a plus. The vibration setting is different for each...