Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Recoil Buffers

RenoShooter

I just received my first Open Glock and shot the first match with it last Sunday. It ran great and although I still need to get used to finding the dot I think I did okay overall. My question is if any of the open Glock shooters have ever used the recoil buffers that are available from Glockstore, etc? If so, do they actually work or are they just hype? I know I should probably leave things alone with my pistol, but if they actually work and preserve the life of the frame I would be interested. Thoughts?

I shoot major 9 through two different open Glocks and neither exhibit problems with the frame. One of them is 6 years old and the other 5 years old. The way Glocks work, anything that takes energy out of the slide stroke can cause a problem with function - feeding, extraction, ejection. Your comp is already taking out a lot of energy which is why you run a lighter recoil spring to compensate for the lost energy. That system is in balance if the gun functions properly. Putting in a recoil buffer or recoil buffer system can take out more energy and disturb that balance. Your frame should be just fine without the buffer. Shoot it and smile if it works. :cheers:

I used to use the shock buffs in my Open Glock in 357 sig and they worked great. Used an 11lb recoil spring and loads were 168-170 PF. They usually lasted about 1000 rounds or so before they started looking ragged, but they are cheap so you can try it and see if it works for you. You may shoot better with a buffer as it will change the dynamics of how the gun responds to recoil as well as the speed the slide returning to battery.