Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alloy frame rails

Dan0

I have a Kimber Pro Carry with an alloy frame. It is my understanding that an alloy frame CAN'T be properly fit to the slide.

Is this correct??

If it can’t will the Keiger rails do the job instead??

How will the Kreiger rails wear compared to a steel frame and slide fit??

Dan0

As far as your alloy frame fit, I dunno. The Accu-rail system uses little rods that are super super hard. Something like 45 or 50 RC comes to mind (though not positive) when those rails do eventually wear out you send it back with $45 enclosed and he puts in bigger rails. I imagine you would have to run a gun very hard, for a very long time to ever need new rails more than once. I had my Bianchi gun fitting with rails and have been pretty happy with it. Someone that has had an IPSC gun done would prolly know more as Bianchi guns are so gentle they dont wear much on the gun anyways.

I don't know if it's accurate to say an alloy frame "can't" be fit to a slide, but I do think whatever fit you get won't last as long. In the case of my carry gun, the first 14,000 rounds I put through it made it pretty loose. I think the problem is that the surface of the alloy frame (an Aluminum oxide from the anodizing) is very abrasive, and it wears away at the steel of the slide. I could be wrong, but that's the way it looks to me.

Rails would solve the problem. You'd have steel-on-steel contact, and with proper lubrication, it should last a long time.

Oh, the Rhino Mk1? The real quesiton here is, how much accuracy do you need, and for how long? Bianchi Cup accuracy? Give up now. Accurate enough to ring a 10" gong at 100 yards ten shots out of ten? tehn get a match barrel installed properly, and don't worry about it.

My Colt LWC is old, I got it used, and I've put 5,000+ rounds of factory hardball through it after it got a Bar-sto barrel. Yes it is loose. But it still shoots like a bullseye gun. As in, under an inch and a half all the time at 25 yards with Hornady XTP 200 factory ammo.

You can get the same quality of frame to slide fit with a alum. frame as you can with a steel frame, but it will wear quicker. The alum being the softer of the two metals will be the one to wear. Alum frames without a ramped barrel will also show wear on the feed ramp in the frame causing feeding problems.......