Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cross-dominant: Two birds with one stone?

SmurfJet

Right handed left-eye dominant shooter. No major vision issues other than those normally associated with 60 year old eyes. I'm able to shoot handuns with both eyes open by simply shifting the positon of the gun to the left. I'm sure that I also tilt my head a bit. It works pretty well for me most of the time, but inevitably the gun will find its way in front of my non-dominant right eye and the fun begins. I'm pretty sure that I've hit the "you can only shoot as fast as you can see" wall, so I'm wondering if there's a better way.

I have trifocals with a relatively minor intermediate vision correction both top and bottom that I use at work. They're optimized for what is effectively front sight distance, and the front sight is noticeably sharper when viewed through them. What I'm wondering is if that intermediate correction was appled in the upper portion of the right lens only, would that trick my brain into preferring the image generated by the right eye over that generated by the left?

My optometrist isn't a shooter. I've read through a number of threads on the subject here, and there seem to be some pretty knowledgable folks so I'm throwing this out there in hopes of learning something that might lead me to belive that spending the money on what stands to be a fairly expensive experiment might be worthwhile. Thoughts?

I think you should stay with using your actual dominant eye, not try to block the dominant eye out. Better to block/inhibit the non-dominant eye a little if it is causing some interference. (I am not an eye doctor)

My shooting glasses have the entire dominant eye lense with the front sight correction. Non-dominant eye entire lense is the distance correction. This works pretty well.

Before trying this I used to put a small piece of scotch tape over the spot on the non-dominant eye lense which covered the front sight.

eric

This has come up at least a half dozen times over the past couple years so it would be worth the time to go back and searching for these threads (search for the word 'dominant') because different people find different things work best for them.

This has come up at least a half dozen times over the past couple years so it would be worth the time to go back and searching for these threads (search for the word 'dominant') because different people find different things work best for them.

Thanks, sport. I agree that if the specific question that I've posed had been asked and answered previously there would have been no need to ask it again.

I think you should stay with using your actual dominant eye, not try to block the dominant eye out. Better to block/inhibit the non-dominant eye a little if it is causing some interference. (I am not an eye doctor)

My shooting glasses have the entire dominant eye lense with the front sight correction. Non-dominant eye entire lense is the distance correction. This works pretty well.

Before trying this I used to put a small piece of scotch tape over the spot on the non-dominant eye lense which covered the front sight.

eric

+1 on this eric. My eye doctor is also a shooter and has recommended this for a lot of us for Practical shooting. Haven't heard of anyone saying it's not working for them. We have 4 USPSA matcheds per month and lots of shooters.

I'm also a right handed, left eye shooter. I do the same as you in that I bring the gun slightly more to the left and turn my head slightly to the right. A meet in the middle, so to speak. On a very rare occasion my right eye decides to join the party, and the double vision, or ghost image, caused by that at one time messed me up and really bothered me, but now I know which set of sights to use when it happens. If it's really bad, I just close or squint my right eye a little.

My opinion is that you shouldn't change it, or fight it; just go with it, and you will learn to adapt on the occasion your right eye decides to join in. I feel lucky, in that shooting with both eyes open has never been an issue. It's a gift, or positive, rather than a negative.

I am in the same boat as you. When I switched to open from limited something strange happened, I started using my right eye (non dominant ) because is were the dot was. If I shoot weak hand I go back to using my dominant eye. I use to fight it, tape my glasses, close one eye. Not anymore, just raise the pistol and see the dot. I don't care what eye I am using. Should have switched years ago. Give Open a try.

Edited by dvc4you