Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet hardness with coated bullets

Bwidpa

Trying to get some opinions. I shoot a lot of cast bullets and depending on loads use either brinell 12 or 18 from missouri bullet company. I've been wanting to try out their coated bullets since they are supposed to reduce leading. So far, while searching the web I've noticed that they are the only company I can find that offers different hardness in coated bullets. Just wanted to know if hardness really matters with the coating since it supposedly reduce the lead so much? If you've had some experience in this i would really like to hear your thoughts!

Thanks

Most hard cast bullets are in the 14-16 hardness range. Only Missouri uses the lower ones for slower velocities.

The proper hardness helps prevent excess leading, which is already taken care of by the coated bullets. But it will also help with the bullet properly sealing the bore, which besides preventing leading, will help in the accuracy dept. But unless you are shooting bullseye matches, you won't notice the accuracy difference in action pistol shooting.

Roger's Better Bullets now come in a polycoated version. It's a coating on top of the same hard-cast lead he's been producing for years. I highly recommend... BTW: Roger's Better Bullets are at a 21 Brinell...

http://www.kingshooters.com/better-bullets-c-463.html

http://www.kingshooters.com/p-c-bullets-c-566.html

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on the velocity, the bullet has to make.

I´m running my own 145 grainers with HITEK with a hardness of roundabout 8, slow velocity to make Minor PF.

Same hardness in my 45.

Only the 40 and the 357 Magnums are about 11.

Yes, HITEK makes your barrel clean and shiny, as long as your bullet diameter fits the barrel.

Almost every cast bullet I have seen for sale runs 18-22 BHN. Only a few companies offer what I consider a "hard" alloy, rather than a brittle "type" alloy: Penn, MasterCastBullets.com, and Missouri bullets. These run about 15 BHN.

Unless you are shooting magnum loads, 15 BHN is still harder than you need and 9-11 is better.

The coating protects from leading, but fit is still more important than hardness, and a HARD bullet will lead more than a soft bullet if the bullet is too small for the barrel.

Slug your barrel and talk to the company.

Almost every cast bullet I have seen for sale runs 18-22 BHN. Only a few companies offer what I consider a "hard" alloy, rather than a brittle "type" alloy: Penn, MasterCastBullets.com, and Missouri bullets. These run about 15 BHN.

Unless you are shooting magnum loads, 15 BHN is still harder than you need and 9-11 is better.

The coating protects from leading, but fit is still more important than hardness, and a HARD bullet will lead more than a soft bullet if the bullet is too small for the barrel.

Slug your barrel and talk to the company.

I agree with every single word.