Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting Limited from 10mm to .40 S&W

I've got the opportunity to buy a Witness Limited in 10mm for a pretty good price with a few extra mags, but I want to shoot .40 in USPSA Limited.

I've done some searching and it seems as though the only thing needed to convert it from 10mm to .40 S&W is a new barrel?

Can someone confirm this for me?

Would this barrel suit my needs? (http://www.henningshootsguns.com/shop/barrels.html) I'm capable of fitting the barrel, but I've never done it before. Are there any tutorials or guides to get me started in the right direction?

Can I use the 10mm magazines for .40 and will they accept the upgrades to make them 140mm?

Thanks!

Edited by TennJeep1618

swapping barrel and mags is all you need. you could probably still use 10mm tubes, but you would have to load .40 long

Thanks for the confirmation! This will be my only 10mm/.40 firearm, so I don't have a problem loading the rounds long. The more I think about it, I'm even considering just using as-is in 10mm for USPSA and just loading the rounds down to 180ish PF.

Thanks again!

swapping barrel and mags is all you need. you could probably still use 10mm tubes, but you would have to load .40 long

Thanks for the confirmation! This will be my only 10mm/.40 firearm, so I don't have a problem loading the rounds long. The more I think about it, I'm even considering just using as-is in 10mm for USPSA and just loading the rounds down to 180ish PF.

Thanks again!

.40 brass is a lot cheaper then 10mm. just saying ;)

Thanks again!

.40 brass is a lot cheaper then 10mm. just saying ;)

Definitely! But I can buy a lot of 10mm brass for the cost of the barrel. I'll probably start out shooting some 10mm in it to make sure I like it. If I do, then I'll pony up for a .40 barrel.

Might want to buy nickel plated then to help you in the pick up process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never even considered that. Thanks for the idea!

It turns out that I'll probably be buying a .40 S&W barrel after all.

I've always heard people say that, but the nickel plating on the brass is only microns thick. It really shouldn't have any effect.

I only shoot nickel plated .40 and it lasts fine, as far as I'm concerned

I don't know if anybody has done a real study on the difference in life

Edited by CZinZA

1 option is load 40 to 10mm OAL (or close) and shoot it w the barrel you have in. I have done so with great success from a 10mm hunter. Some ppl say no no no some say yes. Same w 9x19 in a 9x21 barrel. Everyone will say something diff. Almost as bad as 9maj or 38 sup quarrel. If u feel comfortable w doing so I notices no diff in accuracy at all.

I haven't done this (shooting .40 in a 10mm barrel), but I've read here on this forum that you would be relying on the extractor to set the headspace and that if a round slipped by the extractor you'd have a double feed jam, which I've never had, but hear it is the worst. Guys more knowledgeable than me will probably answer soon to help us out; that's the great thing about this Forum. At this point, I wouldn't carry such a load in a defense pistol anyway.