Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got my first chronograph!

I have been reloading for about 5 years now. I have always aimed for middle of the road charges and velocities just to be safe. Other than the 45 ACP, I have stayed away from the quicker powders. Recently I have been shooting mostly .40 though.

As I get a little more serious about shooting, I wanted to get more serious/particular about reloading. I've known for a while that I NEEDED a chrono to make match quality ammo. I did a lot of reading on this forum and a lot of reviews online and ended up with a Shooting Chrony Alpha master.

My first session turned out really well. This last Saturday was a beautiful day. 65°, blue skies and calm, a rarity in northeast Ohio in April. I was able to test out 4 different loads in 3 different guns. I did get a couple of missed shots and a couple of ERR 1's. I didn't consider it unacceptable.

After reading about light conditions and consistency I have a few questions.

How many sessions in different conditions would you consider acceptable to average out?

How many rounds/data would you consider "enough" to be comfortable at the chrono stage?

Thanks for any advice.

I guess I don't worry too much. Shoot 10 rounds and if all are 169-171 pf I leave it alone. Keep in mind, I tested my last set when it was around 50 out. Been to Curtin stage twice since and their chrono results matched my cheap one

Good point on the different lots. I am nearing the end of an 8lb. jug of Unique and have been trying to get powder as it's been available. Occasionally I find 1lb. cans of Titegroup. So far I have picked up 4 of them. I will double check the lot#'s.

For my first try I was only recording 5 rounds for each load. More than anything I just wanted to get a starting point. I was close, but still a little slow. I have pretty much burned about 5lbs. of Unique running 5.3 grains under coated/plated 180gr. bullets. With the plated bullets I averaged 882 fps from a Glock 22 and a little better in a Glock 35 with 910fps average. I assume I would be closer with a coated bullet.

Once I get dialed in I'll run a bigger batch to verify the power factor.