Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classified deals slipping through my fingers

dossauce

dossauce I see you're asking for empathy, but it's important to empathize with the seller and other buyers as well. As demonstrated above by warpspeed we are all individuals who have our own buying and selling styles when courting one another, there's no guarantee we'll be compatible ;)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I consider post count as well. If somebody I "know", i.e. A long time member who I have talked a lot with, chimes in at the same time as a very new member does I will sell to the old timer. I have done more than a few transactions here and "in general" newbies have been the ones who say they want something but never really follow through with the deal. Then you have to worry about the funds coming through and being good. I have sold things to members I "know" without even receiving funds prior to me mailing it.

But if somebody is negotiating in good faith I give them first dibs until somebody else says they will take it, then they get one chance to close the deal

Wow I've certainly stirred the pot and missed a bit. I'll try and catch up best I can.

So you are expecting the seller to screw around chatting with you and trying to convince you when someone else wants to buy it right now?

IMHO, until you are willing to say "i'll take it, how can we arrange payment", you have no claim on the item.

I think you need to make decisions faster when you want something.

I don't think what you call "chatting" is the same thing I am doing. I consider myself an informed buyer, someone who wants to know how many rounds have been put down the barrel, how old it is, how many owners, who's worked on it, ect. I'm not talking about buying a $100 part, I'm talking about a $1000+ gun. I would agree that much of this could be avoided by posting a quality ad with all of this information but unfortunately many people are just lazy.

Part of it is I don't have an extra $2000 to take a risk on a gun as a young adult. Some people obviously do but does my value as a buyer change because of my fiscal limitations? I don't think it should.

I guess I'm different. I have bought and sold as much stuff here as probably anyone - except maybe Merlin. :)

If I have something for sale, the first person to contact me about it has dibs.

So, if the OP saw an item I had for sale and PMd me asking legit questions like how many rounds or how old or who built it, then I'm not going to just sell to KSwift who posts "Ill Take it".

What I will do is say to the OP, I have an "I'll take it", do you want it or not? I've done it many times. What's the expression, shit or get off the pot ? And don't start crying about missed opportunities. Selling an item on a gun forum isn't that important in your life, or at least it shouldn't be.

I agree and would say I fall more along these lines of how a seller should conduct business and someone I would want to buy from. That being said, do you have a 2011 you want to sell? :roflol:

dossauce I see you're asking for empathy, but it's important to empathize with the seller and other buyers as well. As demonstrated above by warpspeed we are all individuals who have our own buying and selling styles when courting one another, there's no guarantee we'll be compatible ;)

My purpose for starting this topic was not to look for empathy from you all. Trust me, I don't need it, nor do I care for empathy at all. My reason for asking the question is to see how different sellers value buyers and how to "play the game." The way I value myself is different then others so by asking the question I can understand the majority's opinion. I understand everyone will have different opinions but the majority is the way in which I should expect people to handle business.

That being said I still do not plan to change the way I "play the game."

I consider post count as well. If somebody I "know", i.e. A long time member who I have talked a lot with, chimes in at the same time as a very new member does I will sell to the old timer. I have done more than a few transactions here and "in general" newbies have been the ones who say they want something but never really follow through with the deal. Then you have to worry about the funds coming through and being good. I have sold things to members I "know" without even receiving funds prior to me mailing it.
But if somebody is negotiating in good faith I give them first dibs until somebody else says they will take it, then they get one chance to close the deal

I agree, your experience has come with time and volume. I don't have the experience you have on this forum yet but I want to conduct myself with the same level of integrity people with 10,000+ posts do. Just because I am new I do not plan to contribute to the stereotype that "newbies" have of backing out of sales. I just feel that the buying frenzy on this forum leads to a lot of this happening because people don't take the time to ensure the person they are selling to is committed.

I'll challenge you all with this example:

If a buyer says "ill take it" then proceeds to ask questions after the fact.

vs

A buyer asks questions first then says "ill take it"

Who do you think is more likely to buy?

Also do you bother to answer the buyer in the first situation or move on to the next buyer?

I hope you all know I am not perturbed or upset by anything anyone has said. I may not agree with you, but I will listen to your opinions, you're allowed to have them, God Bless America.

vs

Also do you bother to answer the buyer in the first situation or move on to the next buyer?

I have very little patience for a buyer who posts "I'll take it" then starts asking questions, I might answer one volley of questions, but if the questioning continued I would likely move on.

The most likely buyer is the one who knows what they're looking at, knows what it's worth and trusts the seller.

Those of us who snap up great deals right away have reached a comfort level with the other forum members where we feel confident we're getting a great value for our money, we don't ask a lot of questions because we already know the answers.

dossauce, have you sold a lot on other forums? I ask because I have bought and sold a lot on a bunch of different forums. Like others have said, unless the seller has poorly described the item or it is a high dollar/rare, the guys asking a bunch of questions and wanting more pics are tire kickers.

Every sale is different, I committed to buy some stuff today that was just something a guy knew he would never use and wanted rid of. I have bought other things where the buyer has let me know after the transfer that they appreciate the fast payment because they needed the money for an unexpected emergency.

I have haggled and lowballed and asked for extra pics, and I have committed to stuff I thought was a good deal sight unseen. A day on the internet is like a month in real time. Sometimes you gotta act fast.

A lot is relative. I've sold more things then my 84 year old grandmother but do I sell/buy once a month, no.

I can see your point atlas in that as you gain experience in a place you can learn to trust and buy with less hesitation. I wouldn't say I'm at that point and I think I'd always question new sellers. My experience with firearms has been with people I know personally up to this point.

Part of it is I don't have an extra $2000 to take a risk on a gun as a young adult. Some people obviously do but does my value as a buyer change because of my fiscal limitations? I don't think it should.

That's part of why I handle sales the way that I do. Consider sites like eBay and Gunbroker: You can ask all the questions you like, but the sites have built into them a firm "commit," either a bid or a Buy-It-Now. I like answering questions, and I want to make sure that someone buying something worth several hundred dollars off of me understands what they're getting. But you also hit on something else I try to do, namely make my ad as concise but comprehensive as possible.

vs

I have very little patience for a buyer who posts "I'll take it" then starts asking questions, I might answer one volley of questions, but if the questioning continued I would likely move on.

The most likely buyer is the one who knows what they're looking at, knows what it's worth and trusts the seller.

Those of us who snap up great deals right away have reached a comfort level with the other forum members where we feel confident we're getting a great value for our money, we don't ask a lot of questions because we already know the answers.

a person that say i'ii take it pending questions means nothing to me. the time to ask questions is before that.So if i answer his question on how many rounds and he does not like it, is he still obligated to buy it even though he said he would take it? One can not have it both ways

if someone willing to take the risk and buys it before you that is the breaks. So if the guy that bought it from under you post later that the item he got was bad or even never got it how would you feel then? it works both ways.

Get a job in sales or retail and you will learn a lot about how the world of buying and selling works.

I tend to rely on the first come first served methodology. However, a good descriptive post with PICS can resolve a lot of questions beforehand. I welcome questions, but tend to move on to the next buyer when low-balling offers enter the conversation. Prior research for pricing eliminates my desire to negotiate. In fairness to the OP, a response of someone else wants it now from the seller is above and beyond what is required in this format. I agree with others, when looking for a deal, your research prior to the hunt should have reduced or eliminated the questions. In my opinion, most of us are selling to buy something else, so prompt commitments to buy takes priority. OP, I wish you the best going forward . . .

While I'm new here as well, I'm gonna +1 here what Sarge said. I'm new here but have sold and bought many things on other sites with this same mentality where I have been part of for 10+ years. Usually before I list something, if I know another member that may be interested, I'd PM them first and give them first crack. Anyway, being new has it drawbacks but everyone starts somewhere. If I don't get something I wanted for whatever reason, it's super easy for me to think it was for a reason and I'm content moving on. I've also "sold" things to members who says "I'll pay later when I get home from work". Pisses me off cause then "later" comes and they ignore me while I have someone else saying they are PP ready or whatever. Don't take it personal, especially when dealing with the amount of money items are here.

... I've also "sold" things to members who says "I'll pay later when I get home from work". Pisses me off cause then "later" comes and they ignore me while I have someone else saying they are PP ready or whatever. Don't take it personal, especially when dealing with the amount of money items are here.

Wow, out of all the years I've been on here and been through hundreds of transactions, I've only had that happen once, maybe twice. They said they wanted it and then never contacted me back so it's not exactly the same but close. For the most part, I've had better luck here than with other sites that I buy stuff from. The shooting community is pretty tight group with high standards and integrity in general. If you have someone in line and waiting, it's best to give the first potential buyer a timeline to work off of so expectations are known.

In fact, most of the guys on here that I've dealt with before, I will ship stuff as their payment is on the way, even if they tell me they will pay when they get home. Several of the at-work networks block a lot of sites including payment sites sometimes so I understand that. As a buyer, however, I always try to get my payment in ASAP to show the seller I'm serious and build that trust.

... I've also "sold" things to members who says "I'll pay later when I get home from work". Pisses me off cause then "later" comes and they ignore me while I have someone else saying they are PP ready or whatever. Don't take it personal, especially when dealing with the amount of money items are here.

Wow, out of all the years I've been on here and been through hundreds of transactions, I've only had that happen once, maybe twice. They said they wanted it and then never contacted me back so it's not exactly the same but close. For the most part, I've had better luck here than with other sites that I buy stuff from. The shooting community is pretty tight group with high standards and integrity in general. If you have someone in line and waiting, it's best to give the first potential buyer a timeline to work off of so expectations are known.

In fact, most of the guys on here that I've dealt with before, I will ship stuff as their payment is on the way, even if they tell me they will pay when they get home. Several of the at-work networks block a lot of sites including payment sites sometimes so I understand that. As a buyer, however, I always try to get my payment in ASAP to show the seller I'm serious and build that trust.

+1!

Bottom line is feel free to ask questions, especially if the ad is incomplete or poorly worded.... but fully expect a firm "I'll Take It" can come in the midst of all that at any time. While the seller is busy playing IM tag with you, someone could post on the ad or in an IM their commitment to buy. Questions = interest, not a commitment.

If the seller CHOOSES to ignore a posted "I'll take it", to favor the earlier conversation they have going with an previous responder (who seems sincere) is personal choice.

I'd add that :

a buyer who asks all their questions first, and after begin sure its exactly what they want, they then say "I'll take it", is very likely to follow through with the sale (assuming they were still the first to actually commit to buy). This sounds like the OP....

a buyer that says "I'll take it", to hold their spot in the pecking order, and then ask all sorts of basic questions (condition, shipping, FFL, more negotiating) really did not commit at all, he was only was trying to reserve his place in line to "tire tick". These types are more likely to back out, once their questions are answered post facto.

Now, a buyer, who says "I'll take it - how do I pay" - and then says "ok, deal - but out of curiosity could you answer a few questions?" Is totally fine.... I often think of little details I'd like to know after, but in no way would affect my buying decision....

I agree, I hope all sellers will hold themselves to the same standards of integrity you seem to have. Communication is a skill many people overlook these days with how easy it is.

Bottom line is feel free to ask questions, especially if the ad is incomplete or poorly worded.... but fully expect a firm "I'll Take It" can come in the midst of all that at any time. While the seller is busy playing IM tag with you, someone could post on the ad or in an IM their commitment to buy. Questions = interest, not a commitment.

If the seller CHOOSES to ignore a posted "I'll take it", to favor the earlier conversation they have going with an previous responder (who seems sincere) is personal choice.

I'd add that :

a buyer who asks all their questions first, and after begin sure its exactly what they want, they then say "I'll take it", is very likely to follow through with the sale (assuming they were still the first to actually commit to buy). This sounds like the OP....

a buyer that says "I'll take it", to hold their spot in the pecking order, and then ask all sorts of basic questions (condition, shipping, FFL, more negotiating) really did not commit at all, he was only was trying to reserve his place in line to "tire tick". These types are more likely to back out, once their questions are answered post facto.

Now, a buyer, who says "I'll take it - how do I pay" - and then says "ok, deal - but out of curiosity could you answer a few questions?" Is totally fine.... I often think of little details I'd like to know after, but in no way would affect my buying decision....

I like the way you phrase it. I just wish the "tire kickers" of the world weren't so. I'm fine with both other types of buyers but I think the seller integrity is often influenced by the "tire kickers" because the seller will tell them "okay it's yours, send payment to XYZ" and then after getting all of the questions don't want to back out of the sale with the buyer.

I agree with what all you said. :cheers:

I can easily think of 3-4 times off the top of my head this has happened to me. "I'll take it, money will be sent later." Then l get the item all packed and ready to go and try to get to the PO before they close so I'll message them and ask if they are going to pay, then nothing. Here doesn't really seem like a place to scam or screw around, though. The items I had this issue with were valued anywhere between $200-$600 (as silly as this may sound, it was Jordan shoes and Oakley Glasses - yes I know, but it was a childhood hobby that died hard :roflol: )but, it's almost too easy to spot people that are "interested" versus someone who is truly interested. But I always try and be fair and give people the benefit of the doubt.

I agree, I hope all sellers will hold themselves to the same standards of integrity you seem to have. Communication is a skill many people overlook these days with how easy it is.

Communication is key to me. Especially when dealing in large sums of money; but to me, any amount of money is a lot, or I treat it that way. For example, I CANNOT stand having someones money/payment and still having their item. Like if someone pays after the PO closes, it drives me crazy. Or getting a payment late Saturday and not being able to ship till Monday is worse. I've seriously been told in the past "you don't have to message me your every step, it's cool." I don't like fcuking with people's money to be blunt.

Edited by Meyer23

Haha, I wouldn't say I have that much conviction but I will make the effort even if it isn't convenient to me to get the item out.

I wouldn't call it conviction but I really have an OCD thing about playing with peoples money. For example, I don't like when, on the rare occasion, says someone grabs me food at work and buy it with their own money without coming to be first to get cash. I know it sounds completely wack but it's true. If it's a friend/family, I'll take your money all day, tho :roflol:

Grumpy, I do that all the time. Even for the simple fact of "just in case." And I NEVER spend a dime of said money until the buyer is content. Maybe I'm way to cautious & it's stressful but I'll be damned if I'm doing anybody wrong.

As a seller I've sent items to people before on their word that the check is in the mail. I'm sure some of you gasped at that thought but what's the difference? Either the buyer or seller has to take a leap of faith. Both are taking equal chances.

As a seller I've sent items to people before on their word that the check is in the mail. I'm sure some of you gasped at that thought but what's the difference? Either the buyer or seller has to take a leap of faith. Both are taking equal chances.

I agree! :cheers:

I was ripped off once as a buyer on Armslist so naturally hindsight being what it is, my spidey senses started going off when I was lining up a buy on this forum with relatively user (some info that didn't make sense, plus a deal which seemed a little too good), but before I gave up I "figured what the hell" and asked him to send me the gun first. He did and everything turned out great.

I have bought several items off this forum. Nothing but positive experience for me. I have asked a lot of questions on some to ensure it was what I wanted. Some folks have shipped prior to receiving payment (not at my request) normally I use PayPal but a few folks wanted money orders. If I am buying with a mo I will take a pic of the money order and the envelope when I am at the post office and send it to the seller. My attempt at showing I am honest.

If I'm selling & someone is kicking tires(aka asking a LOT of questions, especially ones I've already answered) I will answer for a while but if they drag it out, one question a day, waiting a day or two to respond to my PMs, etc, I will usually sell it to someone that says "I'll take it, where do I send the money".

If they ask a lot of questions up front, respond quickly to my answers, then I will know they are serious & give them first chance at it.

If it takes several days to ask & answer, I figure they are shopping for a better deal & just hoping to keep me hanging on in case they can't find one.

MLM

Totally get that miller. I think if you're an active participant in asking questions promptly it's a good sign you're interested, so long as the questions are relevant due to missed information. I don't think questions should stretch out beyond 3-4. Even at 4 replies I would get the sense you're just "kicking tires" as y'all put it

What bothers me when purchasing on GB or Ebay is when the item has already exceeded the minimum bid, and there is still a day or two left before the closing of the sale, and you send the money after winning the sale and advise the seller that the payment was sent via PayPal, and then they state they have to package the item up for shipping and it will several days before they can take it to the shipping terminal. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr