Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classified deals slipping through my fingers

dossauce

So I'm still fairly new and have used the classifieds here a few times but recently I've been having a lot of issues when trying to close the deal on things.

Here's whats happening:

I find something I like and interested in buying, I post on the topic "pm sent", I send the seller a PM telling him I am interested in purchasing what he/she has for sale, I usually ask for more info, history, additional pictures sometimes. Then after hearing back I usually say either "thanks for your time but no thanks" or I will say, "I am interested" and then ask about payment and location. We usually go back and forth a few times and working out details, finding out answers.

Then all of a sudden, bam, the seller tells me it's sold. Is it just me or if I go through multiple conversations with you (before anyone else has sent a pm) I should be first in line to buy it?

Is there something I need to say in a message to claim the item as mine. I just don't get it. It seems to me other people are just willing to say "I'll take it" and boom the deal is done with no regards to who else the seller had been talking to before.

Is it wrong for me to ask questions about how long they've owned the item, how many owners before them, ect. Should I just say "I'll take it" and then ask all these questions?

I don't know, to me it just seems wrong to short someone like that when all they are trying to do is learn more about what they are looking to buy. Why not say to the person who said "I'll take it" Okay, thanks for your interest. I have someone who has messaged me about it already and want to give them the chance since they replied first but I will reach out to you after them.

I've bought and sold enough things through private sale to know buyers back out all the time but why not at least give the person who asked about it first the right to it.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you are expecting the seller to screw around chatting with you and trying to convince you when someone else wants to buy it right now?

IMHO, until you are willing to say "i'll take it, how can we arrange payment", you have no claim on the item.

I think you need to make decisions faster when you want something.

If I were a seller and you posted 'PM Sent' and proceeded to ask questions as opposed to making payment arrangements I wouldn't be happy. Ask all the questions you want but don't give the appearance that you're buying the item if you still haven't decided.

Ya snooze ya lose. There's enough internet poachers ready and willing to sign up for an account and buy something at a good price with their first post EVER!!! This is one of my little irritations about the classifieds. I think folks ought to have 50 posts to BUY from there as well to stop the vultures. I typically ignore them when selling and move on to someone who has at least contributed something to the forum before taking something out.

99.9% of the sellers here can be trusted to deliver what they sell in the condition they promise. So if you want to ask a lot of questions, do so but you are forewarned that the item could well be sold in the meantime. If you want to ask questions you don't need to notify by PM Sent btw.

First "I'll take it" by PM, or post. Earliest timestamp if its a race.

You have to understand that if the item is being discussed by you, it may be getting discussed with 2 or 3 other people. Until you say "I'll take it" you are just kicking tires.

Bargains sell very quickly on this forum.

I don't know, to me it just seems wrong to short someone like that when all they are trying to do is learn more about what they are looking to buy. Why not say to the person who said "I'll take it" Okay, thanks for your interest. I have someone who has messaged me about it already and want to give them the chance since they replied first but I will reach out to you after them.

I've bought and sold enough things through private sale to know buyers back out all the time but why not at least give the person who asked about it first the right to it.

You need to say 'I'll take' it, until then its up for grabs to first person who does.

On lower priced items, you just need to look at available evidence, and just make a decision. Figure that built into the discount of the pricing is compensation for any risk/uncertainty about condition (or if you don't agree, offer a price that does compensate for that and lets you commit now). On higher price stuff, if you can't commit, be precise with a question or two that will allow you to commit, or not.

Agree with everyone else.

People asking questions aren't committed. People who ask where to send money are.

I used to give people asking questions first priority but I ended up losing the sale 95% of the time to the person asking questions and the next person in line.

Agree with everyone else.

People asking questions aren't committed. People who ask where to send money are.

I used to give people asking questions first priority but I ended up losing the sale 95% of the time to the person asking questions and the next person in line.

Agree.

I've played the 20 questions before only to have 'the buyer' back out or end communication and during that time a second or third interested party pass because they found the same item or something else.

The bottom line on classifieds, as I have come to understand, is that there are no forum endorsed "rules" about who gets an item. if a seller chooses not to accept an offer from someone that is his prerogative. While it is common practice, and perhaps courtesy to consider the first "ill take it" as the buyer, this is not required under the classified rules. I am sure none of the moderators want the job of verifying time stamps, or asking why i sold to xxx instead of yyy.

Anymore name calling and this thread gets locked. The OP asked a question with the expectations of getting a respectful answer.

Name calling? I saw a whole lot of respectful and informative answers. No real name-calling, but I'm not very sensitive (just ask my wife).

Edited by motosapiens

Anymore name calling and this thread gets locked. The OP asked a question with the expectations of getting a respectful answer.

Name calling? I saw a whole lot of respectful and informative answers. No real name-calling, but I'm not very sensitive (just ask my wife).
Yep, there was name calling, and what I consider rude and inappropriate language for a forum like this, or any public forum for that matter. The OP is young, learning, and maybe a bit nieve, but he didn't deserve to be slammed with the heavy language the way he was.

Not so much you, motospaiens, but others, or one in particular, should be ashamed of themselves. If it were up to me, he or she, wouldn't be allowed to post on the forums, at least not for a very long time.

The time for questions is prior to committing. You should be certain of what you are agreeing to buy.

If someone swoops in while you are info gathering...those are the risks.

Once you post up "I will take it" the only question you should be asking is, "How do you wish to be paid?"

True - if you have questions send a PM or ask on the site - but if you say "I'll take it" that means you agree to the posted ad. As mentioned above, on low priced items you have to decide based on what is posted, for a multi thousand item you can certainly ask questions as most people will.

If a person has questions about an item, I don't consider that a "place in line." If I'm chatting with someone about what I enjoy/don't enjoy about a scope or something, and someone else pipes up with "how do you like your money," I will have to inform the chatty person that the item is spoken for.

The same goes for multiple forums. The chronologically earliest e-mail, PM, or smoke signal I get that says "I will give you money for this" wins.

I guess I'm different. I have bought and sold as much stuff here as probably anyone - except maybe Merlin. :)

If I have something for sale, the first person to contact me about it has dibs.

So, if the OP saw an item I had for sale and PMd me asking legit questions like how many rounds or how old or who built it, then I'm not going to just sell to KSwift who posts "Ill Take it".

What I will do is say to the OP, I have an "I'll take it", do you want it or not? I've done it many times. What's the expression, shit or get off the pot ? And don't start crying about missed opportunities. Selling an item on a gun forum isn't that important in your life, or at least it shouldn't be.

I have seen items and was unsure of a fact or description and sent a PM in this format: As long as XXX is true, tell me where to send the money. That seems to work pretty well.

As far as having anything to say about the sale until "I will take it" that is not ever expected by me.

In this day and age, money talks. I will usually give the first person who contacts me a chance if they say "I'm interested but have questions" I'll be glad to answer them. as soon as I get a PM saying "ill take it", ill tell that person they are 2nd in line at the moment and give the 1st person ONE chance to commit to it. "Hey, got another guy who says he wants it now, you in or out?" kind of thing. If they are in, great, if not, the 2nd person gets it. I'm willing to let the first person have dibs but not if they are going to drag it out for 3 days.

Best way to avoid that as a seller is to put plenty of information/pics in the post so the questions are answered before they ask. As a buyer, you just have to know what to look for and jump on it when you see it.