Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy Metal Rifles

skywalker40

I've been shooting HM for a while and wanted to know if anyone is shooting a Springfield Scout or socom. I'm using a standard right now and really like the way it handles but thinking a shorter barrel may be faster? I never liked the AR platform or SCARs, just personnel preference. Thanks for any replies.

I know a couple of guys that use full boat M1As and have done quite well in HMI division... (Pat Kelly and Brian Ray for starters...)

I prefer a JP LRP 07...

It's the Indian, not the arrow... :)

Best is to try a scout and see what happens if you think it may help.

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

I used a full size M1A for about 5 years. Never once did I think it was too long, but many times I was thankful for the sight radius offered by the full size.

The Scout wouldn't be a bad rifle, barrel is just a little shorter, and it still uses standard front sight bases.

The SOCOM on the other hand- the irons are terrible. HUGE rear peep, with a front sight blade as wide as the double yellow line on the highway. No replacements available that I'm aware of either.

Thanks Bryan, I really like the full size M1A that I'm using now. I think I'm just looking for an excuse to get a new M1A. I shoot with a 1x4 scope so sight radius isn't a concern for me. Only time the length is an issue is when I'm shooting through window or props so not a huge deal.

The M1A is a terrific choice for heavy irons. I just purchased an 18" scout I gonna start messing with. i have new glasses and can see the front sight again, so I'm just achin to go shoot some heavy irons with it. I'll start with some local matches and see how it goes.

The M1A with the full length barrel will core a lot of the steel targets inside 100 yards. If you use one, that is good to know when a mad RM or MD comes to accuse you or using steel core when you were not. :)