Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a new barrel.

93notch

Hey everyone I am looking for some input on a new barrel for 3 Gun. I am looking for a soft flat shooting setup. I was looking at the stretch 16 setup but that is a $330 barrel. Just looking for some suggestions. Thanks.

FWIW, the Stretch includes the gasblock and gas tube. just saying its important to compare comparable packages. if you reuse those items, can see how the Stretch is not the best option.

The Nordic 16" barrel is on sale on the Nordic website for $199.00. Add an SLR adjustable gas block for $119.00. Add a gas tube and both packages are within a few $$ of each other. Oh yeah, the Nordic Barrel and SLR gas block are in stock.

If you want a 16", get the Stretch16. If you want an 18", get a Nordic. Not only are they good values, they are the best performing barrels for a 3Gun rifle.

Accurate, reliable (chambers not too tight) and soft. They both have gas systems that have been optimized. There are some copies, but they do not perform as well as the originals as is usually the case.

You are going to get about a million different opinions on this. We are fortunate that we have several good choices out there. I think you need to determine what length you want and what length gas system you are looking at as well as general weight. If you want a super light rifle then your going to want a lighter weight barrel. I think the above advice on the 18" nordic or 16" stretch is quite good. You might opt to do a 14.5 and pin a break on too.

For what its worth I went with a 18" rifle-gas Rock Creek from Ranier Arms. Its a cut rifle SS barrel and experience tells me a cut rifle barrel will last longer then a button rifle barrel.

I thought about the 14.5 option but I don't want a pinned brake cause I do shoot some suppressed. I currently am shooting a 10.5 inch sbr but is is just a pain in the butt with paperwork to go out of state. I want lightweight and low recoil

The Nordic is a nice barrel, but comes with a smaller-than-normal gas port. From what I have seen, it may not always produce enough gas to be used with an adjustable gas block. A friend of mine tried to run one with a JP adjustable block and was never able to get it to run 100%. After having numerous functional problems at a recent major, he had to switch to a non-adjustable gas block to get it to run reliably. If you do get the Nordic, and want to use an adjustable gas block, consider drilling out the gas port.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Lots of opinions on barrels. Not a lot of hard facts to back them up. Some will claim that brand X is better, but the truth is that there can even be a good bit a variation between the performance of barrels even from the same brand. Make sure whoever makes the barrel is willing to stand behind it, and get the contour that floats your boat. You pay your money and you take your chances.

I've purchased 2 Nordic barrels, first one is fine, 2nd one keeps the bullet when clearing the chamber of a loaded round dumping powder in the gun. Thats with factory ammo. I would guess they cut the chamber throat a little short, doesn't give me confidence to buy another.

Edited by AKJD

Love my stretch 16....they also can come fluted and red Cerakoted :) just saying. It and a great trigger has dramatically improved my shooting at distance when at one time I couldn't hardly do, now I'm much better (still need to work on the "me" factor though) but it's well worth the money

Oh crap, now i need to sell my melonited stretch and buy a red...

sorry for the thread drift, but bottom line, doubtthere is a "best" choice for the OP, just excellent choices depending on barrel length and gas system preference.

Got a Ballistic Advanage "Hanson" 16" Middy I am testing now. Need to confirm accuracy against several others but so far I am impressed, gas port sizing is undersized a bit, very soft shooting. The profile is a hybrid, ends up being lighter than a gov profile without the thin section under the handguards, shoulderless design that is setup for a low profile gas block, it comes with a pinned gas block.

Barrel advise will be all over the place. Before I used to shoot M193 and Priv 75gn only in matches and a ran a comparison across several my builds and several friends. The worst barrels I tested were two Blackhole Weapons barrels (that get good reviews here), ironically the best was a 11.5" DD Lightweight CHF, the Noveskes and RRA in the test were close, a mixture of other barrels in the middle. The 18" Nordic may be soft shooting but the 16" Nordic Middy (mine measured out at 16.5 were every other "16" barrel measured out at 16.1") is way over-gassed with a .085 gas port. I haven't ran the Stretch 16, but the other SS Fluted McGowen barrels I have in 300 blackout shoot OK, they were like $145 though.

I like the Nordic 18 and am running a 16" Stretch right now..

Good middle weight, not heavy nor too light.

If you like the idea of a 14.5" the Ballistic Advantage Hanson middy is a nice barrel.

No problem hitting plates at 400 yards with XM193 consistently.

Take a look at the Faxon pencil barrel a very nice looking barrel.

I have 2 16" 416R versions and couldn't be happier.

Great customer service too.

We're honored to hear the compliment.

Our "light" barrels are finally nearing assembly. Available in 14.5", 18" and 20" to start.

Gov't profile behind the gas block, .625" gas block, and pencil profile from there forward.

I personally cant wait for them to be done along with our 18" FLAME barrels. Been shooting our 16" so far this season and have been looking for the extra velocity.

Edited by FaxonFirearms