Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel length question....

^^^ RiggerJJ, I am asking as to what is best for these type of matches. I can do a search and read through hundreds of topics/posts and spend 8hrs doing it. Frankly I have more value to my time so I asked a question. I received the answer I was looking for from the first reply. Yours.... Well.... I'll leave it at that.

Bikerburgess, thanks!

Hello all, I am beginning to get into USPSA rifle matches. No Milti-gun but pistol and rifle and rifle only. Question is what is the best barrel length?

16?

20?

Thanks.

I read a lot and asked these questions a few years ago. I ended up with a JP15, 18" barrel with a rifle length gas system.

I have found, for me anyway, that the length of the barrel isn't as important as the balance of the rifle itself. If the rifle is to forward heavy or the weight is to far aft it won't swing as well.

I run a 16" heavy barrel with a Troy 15" Alpha rail and a Magpul CTR. My balance point is just forward of the magwell which is the ticket for me.

A good general use gun look at a 18in midweight profile barrel with a rifle preferred or maybe a midlength gas system. It's usually a good middle ground for the longer range matches as well as the close bay matches. Just don't go super heavy on the handguard as it's not much benefit going very heavy there.

again, best is what works for YOU...

for action rifle matches, anything from 10 inches to 22 inches will work and work well, unless you are using iron sights and use the full length of the barrel for sight radius, then longer is preferred.

IMHO, the notion that longer is better for long ranges is a myth. 16s in 223 work well out to and beyond 600, and I have seen both shorter and longer work well.

Its a question that has NO perfect answer.

and to tell us that you are too busy to do any research/reading of past posts is, well, I will just leave it at that... :angry2:

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

I like my JP 20" but that is me,YMMV. Typically these questions have no answer, only opinions which is one reason for JJ's frustration. People like to ask questions, get tons of advise, then ignore it and then buy what every they want. Search functions and engines are your friend, use them early and often.

Doug

• 4 months later...

For fastest follow up shots, make sure you start with a rifle length gas system. Anything else and you will be chasing your tail trying to reduce felt recoil.

I just watched something that said the new trend in 3gun is to go from 20" which has been the standard, to 18" which is the new standard for the top shooters in the sport.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted something shorter for a all around carbine. I just ordered a AR Stoner medium profile 16 inch fluted stainless barrel in 223 Wylde with a intermediate gas system to try with the AR Stoner comp. It seemed like a good middle of the road barrel and there have been some good reviews on it. I'm pairing it with a rifle length hand guard and a low profile gas block. It was available in 18 inch as well but I wanted something a little handier. My last AR years ago was a 20 inch and I always wanted a shorter barrel.

I just shot my Son in Laws AR's in 14.5 inch and 16 inch before I made my decision.

Edited by Glockinator

• 2 weeks later...

18 or a 20 Criterion. I personality would want the extra velocity for medium range. I'm seriously contemplating running a 20" barrel next season for 3gun. We deal with a lot of medium range targets where I shoot.

18 or a 20 Criterion. I personality would want the extra velocity for medium range. I'm seriously contemplating running a 20" barrel next season for 3gun. We deal with a lot of medium range targets where I shoot.

What does this extra velocity do for you at medium ranges?

I'm a middle of the pack shooter. I started off with a 14.5 with carbine gas and a really good brake on the end. I just got a bad ass 18". I can routinely hit targets out to 500 with the 14.5 if I do my part and did better than my buddies with 18s on the long range stage at Nats this year. The 18 is not unwieldy so far but I haven't shot it out of a car yet. I have less movement of the dot with the 18 and prefer the recoil impulse. I think the reason there is such debate about which is better is because the differences are fairly subtle and to individual tastes. There is no one right answer. As a general observation though I mainly see 16" with intermediate length gas or 18" rifles.

^^^ RiggerJJ, I am asking as to what is best for these type of matches. I can do a search and read through hundreds of topics/posts and spend 8hrs doing it. Frankly I have more value to my time so I asked a question. I received the answer I was looking for from the first reply. Yours.... Well.... I'll leave it at that.

Bikerburgess, thanks!

I am so happy that you have decided that your time is so much more valuable than those that you expect to cater to you. You respect the opinion of a group of people who you do not know, but don't consider their time to be as valuable as your own. This tells me that no matter what information you get you are going to most likely ignore it. The answer you seek was posted in this thread somewhere, too bad you don't know who's information is correct. How about you join the community and get to know the people, learn who is knowledgable and has practical experience, and who is full of shit or just trying to sell you something. Lazy dickheads who don't respect others will never get the opportunity to fully enjoy the sport. Don't be a lazy dickhead.

Ouch! I think the only way to decide what barrel is best for you is to buy one of each and shoot them for a while. Each person will come up with a different answer which is why a question like the OP posted is pretty worthless. I have 16, 18 and 20 inch ARs in the safe but I always come back to the 20 for serious matches.

Doug

Edited by Doug H.

• 1 month later...

I'd say to try a variety. I shot an 18" for the longest time ans swore by it. I have just converted to an Armalite with a 13.5" and pinned tunable comp. I don't know how i dealt with the 18" for so long. I have been able to take my 13.5" out to 500 yards and maintained a near 1/2 MOA accuracy. The tunable comp makes it so the gun barely moves for in close fast shooting as well.

• 4 weeks later...