Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

looking for advice for a build of an Open gun

rukwikenuf

im kicking around the idea of building an Open gun from a 2011 STI frame. it would be 9mm Major (hopefully) with a Trijicon RMR solid mounted to the slide. my question is this: can i successfully compensate a 9mm in a commander length barrel? or should i look into 38 Super?

FYI, i'm a machinist and amateur gunsmith. i know enough about the inner workings on a 1911 to build one. it won't be anywhere near one built by a reputable 'smith, but i do know it will function. lol

thanks for the advice gents!

You can it's more the load than anything as you need to load the ammo to work the compensator. Factory ammo dosent work well as it's a fast powder. You need a slow powder and a lot of it to work the comp fully which is the same on any open gun. With the shorty it does need a little more powder and is a little more violent and may have issues making major with some of the less common powders but will make it easily with the common open powders. For the dot if it's slide mounted it's not gonna track as well as a frame mount as you have the whole thing moving in you and will take a beating if your shooting major PF ammo.

thanks Justice. i was thinking exactly the same thing. either way it's more of a pipe-dream. if i do it, i'll probably build a 5" for limited and then comp it and put a dot on later. either way, i've gotta raise some cash and it won't be happening soon