Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Edge - trouble cycling

coyoterunner

Hello, I have a fairly new Edge in .40. I've been running the same ammo, 165 grain reman round nose flat points, since new. The problem is almost every mag it fails to properly eject a spent round or it won't load the next round completely. The chamber doesn't fully close on the next round and I need to drop the mag to clear it. I've got about 250 rounds through it so far. I have an M&P that I never have trouble with so I don't know how to start diagnosing this.

Any suggestions are appreciated and thank you.

Hello, I have a fairly new Edge in .40. I've been running the same ammo, 165 grain reman round nose flat points, since new. The problem is almost every mag it fails to properly eject a spent round or it won't load the next round completely. The chamber doesn't fully close on the next round and I need to drop the mag to clear it. I've got about 250 rounds through it so far. I have an M&P that I never have trouble with so I don't know how to start diagnosing this.

Any suggestions are appreciated and thank you.

My Para 1640 had severe problems when new. I ended up having to recut the feed ramp. On yours:

The problem is almost every mag it fails to properly eject a spent round or it won't load the next round completely. The chamber doesn't fully close on the next round

Won't eject spent round: first thing to check is extractor. Barrel throat may be tight.

Do you "size check" the reload ammo in the barrel before shooting? Try dropping it in and check for the "plunk" sound. If the ammo is tight, it will jam.

If you are getting a 3-point jam on the new round loading up, it can be a combination of things. The barrel throat may be tight, may need to "round over" the top of the feed ramp, and the magazine may be riding low in the frame.

Also make sure the overall length of the round is in spec.

I just bought a STI Apeiro, took delivery this week. I too am having the same issue. I am running Freedom Munitions reloads. 40/165.

For me, it is happening after the 2nd or 3rd magazine ran through it and then about every 5-6 rounds after that? I was wondering if the heating up of the gun has anything to do with it?

Is this something I should contact STI about? This is my 1st STI and realize there is a learning curve. But It can certainly be frustrating when trying to find that "normal" point.

I would suggest reading one of the excellent break in procedures such as Brazos.

The tight tolerances cause the gun to really get tight when the gun gets hotter.

At 250 or 300 rounds, your gun is just starting out. Myself and a friend bought edges at the same time not too long ago. I shot 250 rounds an evening for the first week and mine is superb. He tried to just shoot matches until it broke in. He had allot of frustration until he backed up and started the "shoot it hot" but not too hot program below.

http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/0705.htm

I think that once you have about 1000 rounds down the tube you will see the guns functioning fine.

STI sets their guns up to run on factory ammo or properly sized reloads. They don't run well on once fired .40 brass with the infamous Glock bulge at the base of the case. If your re-manufactured ammo wasn't sized all the way to the rim, it will cause the gun to choke. Get yourself a Dillon case gauge and check every reloaded round before it goes into your gun.

Another issue can be the bullet crimp. If the crimp isn't tight enough, the bullet will get pushed back into the case as it gets stripped out the mag and slows down the slide in recoil like a shock absorber slows the rebound of a tire on your car after it hits a bump. If the slides' forward motion is impeded by pressing the bullet into the case, the recoil spring doesn't have enough energy to push the slide all the way back into battery. Measure the overall length (OAL) of the re-manufactured round, and then try pushing the bullet into the case by holding the round against a solid object like a table with the bullet end against the table. Lean on it with all your weight and then measure it again. If its OAL didn't change, the crimp should be fine.

If you don't have a case gauge or a caliper to measure the OAL, you could always try running some factory ammo through the gun and see if it still chokes.

Edited by 72stick

I have several edges in 40 and depending on the barrel manuf and bullet profile they like an OAL of between 1.185 and 1.2. I would try that length and see if it improves. Depending on how new the mag springs are, you could also try loading a mag full, leave it that way for a week and then try it. If it seems to occur with only 1 or 2 rounds left, trying tuning your mags. Most Edges prefer a tuned mag to run best, at the least look into upgraded mag internals, small investments, long in reliability.

No problem.

Also, if you have any doubt about your ammo.

Get a chamber checker to double check your ammo is per spec prior to competition.

I focus on 3 gun. Have a .223 and 9mm case checker that I run all competition ammo through.

A 20 dollar gauge is nothing compared to a two or three hundred dollar entry fee. One oversized case can wreck a weekend.

Only perfect stuff goes in the match box. Anything a tad out of tolerance goes in the practice bucket. Outside of that in the junk bucket.

Went and "heated up the gun again today" It took longer before it started to FTE. 6th Magazine today. Getting better. Thank you for the help, It is reassuring when you have others experiences to help you through a rough start!