Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Perfect Powder Baffle

Looks good to me! I know the best measurements taken are with cases at all stations. I did notice last night that when loading 308 on my 550, I would have an increase of 1.5 grains when I didn't have a case in the de-prime sizing station. I haven't noticed that large a difference when loading for pistol.

• 2 weeks later...

I am happy with mine so far. I have checked every 100 rounds, and the measurements have been spot on. More consistent than the Dillon baffle alone.

I guess the real test is to measure with a full hopper and a 1/3 full hopper.

Maybe I missed something. Is the baffle attached? I thought the baffle would fall when you turn the hopper over to pour out the power.

The Dillon plastic one is attached, the PPB is not. Mine slides out easy enough if I turn the hopper upside down. I suppose you can bend the metal a little to have it stay in the hopper if you want.

Pulled mine out as it did not work well with screens. All of my powder measures have 1/8th wire screens in them.

This is to keep foreign material from reaching the working part of the powder measure. We had a local incident

a few years back. A Commercial Loader had an explosion with loss of life and the business burned to the ground

because a primer some way found it's self into the powder measure.

A section one foot by thirty six inches can be purchased for under three bucks. Use the Powder measure top as

a guide then cut a circle out of the screen. It can be pushed down from the top or pull the plastic tube and

install between the top and base of the measure. Also polish the inside of the powder measure along with the

powder funnel, inside. Stops bridging and keeps powder drops more even. That's enough screen to fit quite a few

powder measures. Got a little off the subject sorry.

Looks like a $13.00 solution looking for a nonexistent problem.

That's great if your drops are consistent enough with the standard baffle. I have seen improvement in mine, so I think it's worth the $13.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a chance that this baffle would help with Alliant BE-86 powder and ordered it. Mine results were very positive, it gave me much more consistent drops than without. I was getting +/- 0.2 grain fluctuations (and sometimes larger) with the default configuration on the Dillon powder drop, with the "Perfect Powder Baffle" most of the drops were on the number and if there was any fluctuation across a 500 round session it was under +/- 0.1 grain. Well worth the small fee of the device. I haven't tested it on Hodgdon Lonshot yet, but with the BE-86 results I am hopeful that the same will happen.

• 2 years later...

Are you guys turning the baffles 90 degrees to each other? I tried this with prima v powder and it wouldn’t fill fast enough so I have turned them about 45 degrees to each other. Verdict is still out though 

9 hours ago, CPD7119 said:

I love mine, i have purchased one for every one of my tool heads. Wont reload without it!

Dumping powder is easy too, you can pull it out with a paperclip if you didn't want to try dumping the powder with it in.

So far it has been great and has fixed the inconsistency with prima V

• 3 months later...
That was ok for it's time this is so much better

http://entirelycrimson.com/ECPMQD.html

This one is even nicer...

https://armanov.com/eu-shop/reloading/dillon-parts-upgrades/quick-disconnect-dillon-powder-measure/

I still prefer the Uniquetek just for emptying powder though as you don't have to remover the whole hopper.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2015 at 11:30 AM, MNshooter said:

Looks cool but isn't it a PITA when you want to dump out powder?

Mine slides right out when emptying powder.  I gotta admit I haven't notice any improvement in consistency for the ball or flake powders I use.