Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caliber is... important!

jbultman

I was a SO at a local idpa match this morning when this happened... Funny story.

So it all start when a guy was called to the line. (he was shooting in esp with a xd chambered in 9mm) I gave him the spiel, told him to face down range load and make ready. He did, and when he did the round wouldn't even think to go in the chamber, and the gun wouldn't eject it, the round was stuck. He had a little difficulty getting the round out of the chamber but he got it. We bumped him down in the shooting order. When it was his time to shoot again, no issues when loading. However during shooting the gun jammed again.

Same round. Same issue. Factory ammo at that. We were all stumped. Again he removed the round the same way. Next stage we went through this again, during the load and make ready command... Same round, same issue. After he removed the round i asked to see it. It looked fine to me, no major flaws... But one!!

He was shooting a 9mm. That round was a .40cal. Evidently he had a loose round in his bag, when he needed a +1 he stuck it in his mag with out checking caliber.

Moral of the story, shoot the right caliber!!

I was in a local store where a guy came in with the slide off his g17 and a 40 round firmly planted in the barrel locking it in place. He asked how to get it out and I explained the back plate would need to be removed but I was going to be leaving if he was going to screw around with that thing without a proper backstop to point it at. While I'm not sure if he could have set the round off with just striker tension and what not insure wasn't on going to stick around to find out

How did he get the slide off without squeezing the trigger to get the trigger bar below the striker?

You can take the backplate off

So why put it back on after the slide is off? At this point the intent is to get it fully apart so that the oversized cartridge can be removed from the barrel.

Here's another one. Guy was shooting a classifier in ESP and then wanted to shoot CDP. Both his guns were 1911s. Finished ESP, changed to his .45 -- at the load and make ready command he inserted the magazine, closed the slide, and a 9mm round fell out the muzzle. Changed guns, but forgot to change mags.

I also once saw a shooter stick a .40 S&W into a .45 mag. It actually fired. I guess the ejector held it in place enough for the firing pin to ignite the primer. Naturally, it spilt the case and didn't properly eject.

I shoot multiple calibers and somehow a 40 got mixed into the 9's. It made it into a magazine and tied the gun up during a stage. It didn't make it into the chamber at all ( the 40 won't fit the bolt face and slide up it) and was cleared immediately when I dropped the mag. That was when I dumped my ammo into bulk containers. Now I use ammo boxes and it would be easy to tell.

Once tried to run a stage with a chum's 9mm mag (which i grabbed off a table in between SO-ing stages) in my .40 Glock 35. Funny thing is I managed to go through about 4 rounds, racking the slide every time until I gave up. I remember thinking "must have trouble with the powder dropper on my 550, these rounds are way too soft.."

The cases came out bulged like mushrooms :-)

Once tried to run a stage with a chum's 9mm mag (which i grabbed off a table in between SO-ing stages) in my .40 Glock 35. Funny thing is I managed to go through about 4 rounds, racking the slide every time until I gave up. I remember thinking "must have trouble with the powder dropper on my 550, these rounds are way too soft.."

The cases came out bulged like mushrooms :-)

I bet you had some nice key holes in the target too....

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a guy with a few rounds of 22-250 in his 223 AR at a 3 gun match earlier this year. The sad thing was after watching this guy for the first half of the match nobody was surprised by it. He went home shortly thereafter.

• 3 weeks later...