Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Had to bury my dog this morning

Rob D

My dog, Charlie, started having trouble breathing two nights ago. I noticed he was taking quick short breaths and seemed to be exhausted easily. Luckily, my home town is also home to a Vet school with a teaching hospital. I took Charlie in to the ER and they confirmed he was out of breath and put him on oxygen. His x-rays showed some kind of cloudiness in his lungs. The doctors weren't sure whether it was cancer or some kind of infection. Early this morning the vet called to let me know that Charlie was getting tired from having to struggle for every breath. The vet was worried he would stop breathing before the end of the night and asked if I wanted to have him put on a ventilator. He explained that most pets who are put on ventilators don't recover and are very prone to infections. I turned down the ventilator and went up to the vet hospital to check on Charlie myself. He was struggling to breath but was still happy to see me. The vet said if he could make it through the next day it might give the meds a chance to work so his lungs could improve. At about 5AM they called me to let me know he was losing consciousness. His heart stopped about two minutes before I arrived.

My dad helped me dig him a grave under a big pecan tree in my parents' back yard. I know losing pets is part of owning pets, but Charlie was my first pet of any kind and I didn't get him until I was 22. He was my best friend and constant companion for almost 8 years. He was a great dog, and I'll miss him.

post-15702-0-38185000-1429377636_thumb.j

Edited by Rob D

Sorry about your loss.

Being able to love and be loved by an animal unconditionally is a blessing, and it sounds like you were very blessed.

Charlie was definitely blessed to have had you for his companion. The fact that you paid homage to him here means a lot. I am one of those that believes that our pets have some sort of soul. I hope one time in the here after that we get to spend more time with those that we loved. Pets included. Sorry for your loss, it may be less painful as time goes on, but you will always miss that little guy.

Charlie was lucky to have a great life with someone who really loved him. They pack a lot in the few years we have them on earth. Maybe that's how they can stay in the moment so well.

I'm sure we will see our furry four legged family in the next life.

God bless.