Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adjusting fixed sights (drift) AT the range?

DagoRed

Hey guys,

I need to adjust the sights on my TRP. I sent it in for something else and asked them to take a look at the accuracy while it was there. Sure enough they ended up replacing the sights and the barrel on it. The test target shows 2.5" group at 25 yards (pretty pleased with that). Only thing is it is centered 3" to the right and high. I can't do anything about the height because they are fixed night sights, but I can drift the rear windage.

Here's my question, having never done this with this type of sight before, how easy does that rear sight move? it has a set screw, I'm going to loosen that, can I then just with it laying on the shooting bench lightly tap it with a punch and it'll move or is it going to require clamping the slide in a vice? I actually have a vice that I can mount in the receiver on my Suburban, if it doesn't require me doing that though I'd prefer not to (8mpg vs 30mpg in the honda going out there :) )

Or since its shooting high (I'm not sure until I shoot it at different distances if that is even an issue, it might be ok if it stays in the A zone) should I not waste the range time messing with it and replace the sights with Dawson FO front (planned anyways) and adjustable rear?

Thanks guys. I like to have a plan before driving half an hour and finding out I wasn't ready :D

Red

loosen the set screw at home and see if the sight will move by finger pressure. if not, put in vise and use a non marring punch and give it taps and see how much force it takes to move. if it still won't move you would have a hard time doing it at the range.

if you are lucky it will be one of the top 2. If it is just pull the slide and clamp it to the vise with padded jaws. move to left slightly ,reassemble and reshoot a group. do the intial group at 10 yard to get it centered and then fine tune at 20.

if its shooting high your sights might be setup for 6 oclock hold.

The rear sight will most likely be a tight fit and dovetail will have loctite.

Are you a left handed shooter?

What is your POA? The top of the front sight or the dot on the front sight?

For night sights and fine adjustments I would far prefer a sight mover over punches, but if I had to do it with a punch I'd bring a vise. The wire spools at my range, it's no biggie to clamp there. Maybe you've got something similar? I'd definitely try at home to see how much force it takes to wiggle the sights at all. You can use a set of calipers from your reloading bench and a reference point on the slide to find out exactly how much the rear's moved.

Edit: Come to think of it, if you check Dawson's site they've got the adjustment equation for how much you need to move it if you measure your sight radius and know how much you need to move your POI. If you measure it rather precisely, I bet you'd be just fine.

Edited by thermobollocks

I put my site on what I want to hit, seems a lot of factory sights are setup for 6 I clock hold. I like the equation idea. It's currently .001 to the left IIRC from when I first got it back and measured it. Elevation I can fix w the new FO height.

I'll play w it at home before making a trip. Thanks a lot guys

Red

I have real bad lighting in my garage so have to make measurements tomorrow. Got busy this weekend. I found the elevation formula on dawson (can't do anything about that till swap front) but I did find this formula elsewhere:

Distance to move sight = (sight radius*impact error)/range

I loosened the set screw but sight definitely needs persuasion it doesn't move by hand. That's probably a good thing :)

Here is what I'm working with, I haven't shot it to verify either, I think I'm gonna do that and just take my vice w me to adjust.

post-54014-0-78975700-1429512986_thumb.j

Wow! I'm happily surprised. I was emailing w Springfield and when I asked why they'd do all the work to this gun and send it out shooting high and right still (because that's what the target shows)

I get a reply that the target was before they made adjustments, as a result of that shooting. Didn't make sense to me but I crossed my fingers. Went to the range after work today w a sight pusher (turns out my rifle sight pusher would work for this rear sight) and prepared to make adjustments

I gotta say, this thing was right on. This range had now way for me to setup a rest position and only goes to 10yds. I thought that this was a pretty damn good showing though. 7rds per mag, whole mag groups. I shot more than this but took the pic while it was clear how good it was doing.

I'm real happy with this gun now. Can't wait to shoot satirdays match

Red

• 2 weeks later...