Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CK arms VS STI DVC

Sandbagger123

i have my money saved up for an open gun. I originally wanted a DVC open 9mm,but not sure i want to wait. The CK arms seem to be a good alternative.

So you open gun guy in the know, how do the two compare? is the cK one a better gun or about the same?

http://www.brazoscustom.com/sti_guns/sti_dvcopen.htm

http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/CK-Arms-Hardcore-Open-Gun-Slide-Ride-9mm-P3769.aspx

I'd favor the CK right now just because you could get one quickly. SC has some in stock, but long wait on the STI's.

Otherwise I think either one would do a fantastic job. I couldn't decide easily if both were in front of me asking to go home!

I'm sure the STI is nice but the holes in the frame and the gold Tin coating really don't do anything for me.

On the other hand my Cheely open gun is awesome. I would go with the CK and get to shooting.

Edited by blairmckenzie1

• 2 weeks later...

My thoughts are that both guns will run and are from solid companies. I was in love with the looks of both the dvc's. A guy showed up with the limited version at a local match and I didn't love it quite as much in person, something about the cuts in the frame looked too mass produced.

Also I think a lot of people will be buying guns from the dvc series. I really like having something different and I think the ck would definitely be more unique.

The dvc limited does have the new comp style which I think looks great. We'll have to see what people say about its performance compared to the t-1/t-2 trubor. But its new so it has to better right? ;)

Edited by Tochnost

I just bought one of the other CK open guns that was available on ShootersConnection, so I'll give some insight.

1. The gun is VERY TIGHT! (And I do mean VERY TIGHT!) They even send instructions with the gun that tell you that the gun is VERY TIGHT, especially the lockup. (Did I mention that it's VERY TIGHT?!)
2. It has the Cheely 4 port comp, but it also has 3 popple holes. If you want to switch the Slideride to a 90 degree, get the setback mount to keep from frying your lens.
3. Controls are all very nice. Wilson High-Ride thumb safeties, slide stop is set up to NOT lock back on last round. Grip safety is NOT pinned though, (IMHO it should be.)

4. Stippling on the grip seems rough to me, but I'm a girl, (softer hands), and I'm used to grip tape, not stippling.

5, The trigger was 2#, but it was not setting off my major ammo, (Win small rifle primers), but my previous open gun had no problem. (Minor ammo for steel matches that use CCI small pistol seemed to work fine.) The hammer fall seemed rather weak to me, so I switched the mainspring to a 19#, and tweaked the sear spring to get back to a 2# pull. It's better now. I don't know what mainspring they are using, but I suspect it's either a 17# or 15#. Not enough to insure good ignition. Gun MUST go bang every time during a match!

Seems like a well made gun. I've only put about 150 rounds through it, just today. I'll give it a thorough thrashing at our steel match Saturday, and at our steel Pro-Am in two weeks.

Edited by Parallax3D

Got to check out the all-black CK open gun last night. Fit and finish is above anything you will see from STI. Trigger was considerably nicer than my full custom open gun from FGW. I do think the new DVC is a very nice looking gun, but I would be amazed if it was anywhere close to as nice as the CK arms guns for the small price increase. Plus you could have one in your hands tomorrow

Parralax3d. If love to hear more about your ck open. What was the model name? What kind of racker is fitted? And with screw or ball detent?

They look like a great package. I have a feeling the 4 port cheely comp with 3 popple holes will be a fantastic setup. :)

Parralax3d. If love to hear more about your ck open. What was the model name? What kind of racker is fitted? And with screw or ball detent?

They look like a great package. I have a feeling the 4 port cheely comp with 3 popple holes will be a fantastic setup. :)

I got the Thunder in 9mm Major.

CK Arms hi-cap modular frame

CK Arms magwell with insert

CK Arms firing pin stop

CK Arms tuned ejector

CK Arms barrel link

CK Arms drilled and tapped mag release

CK Arms grip screw/bushing kit

CK Arms carbon steel slide

CK Arms C-More mount

STI polymer grip, double undercut, contoured, and textured

Aftec extractor

EGW fire controls

Wilson hi-ride ambi thumb safety

Ed Brown memory groove grip safety

KKM Precision bull barrel

Slide Ride optic

XL firing pin

Wolff springs

Standard guide rod and reverse plug

Wilson SS slide stop

Brazos Zig Racker slide racker (It's got two ball detents.)

We'll have to see how it runs with my current load with the Cheely comp and the popple holes. My current load for my old gun, (which has a cracked slide right now), is 124gr MG, 7.2gr WAC, 1.170 OAL. That usually gave me between 172-173 PF in my old gun.

SC0119-1.jpg

SC0119-2.jpg

The gun I got to check out was the CK "Hardcore" Open model with all black small parts and the RTS2 Optic in 9-Major. Before any shots were fired, the fit is EXTREMELY tight. The gun locks up tighter than any other gun I have felt so far. I would imagine it is going to take more than the usual amount of rounds to smooth out and loosen up. It had a Zig Racker installed with 2 ball detents. This is such a clean looking part - I wish they would have been available when I had my last open gun built. The back of the gun was blended perfectly. You could see some very faint machining marks on the slide, but nothing bad. All in all, I would take any of the CK arms open guns over the DVC any day of the week.

nice gun(s) 3D! Wondering, are you going to turn that optic sideways on your new one? Will the racker get in the way?

Yeah, I'm going to switch it to a 90 degree mount, (Cheely of course.) Too used to shooting a 90 degree to switch.

I had already ordered a Cheely mount with the gun, but when I found out it had popple holes, I had to send that back and get the setback version, (to keep from frying the lens.) I've also got an extended Brazos Zig racker for it, and the G.a.s Pedal thumb rest and SVI flat trigger, like my old one had. That stuff will have to wait until next week to get fitted, since I have a steel match tomorrow. Hopefully changing the mainspring cures my weak ignition problem. I'll find out tonight.

Thanks 3d. If you have one id love to see a pic of the top of the slide to see the popple holes etc.

Does the extended zig racker just slide straight into the same dovetail cut for the shorter one? (I think it does from memory).

They've really put out a great product. Great price and no waiting!

• 5 months later...

I have a CK Arms Open Gun in 9mm major and it runs as good as my Freedom GunWorks 9mm major build. One week I shoot the CK Arms and the next weeks match I shoot the Freedom GunWorks gun. Both guns have the RTS2 on them. The only difference is the thumb safety. Freedom gun has standard STI thumb safety and the CK gun has Wilson Combat High Ride. I like the high ride a littler better.

I ordered a STI DVC 9mm major Jan 2014... received it Aug 2014.... when trying to work up to a major load.. when I reached 6.7gr auto comp the brass started bulging where STI undercut the ramp too much...(deemed by a reputable gunsmith) ... only got to shoot the DVC less than 400 rounds... after contacting STI they advised me to send it to them for inspection.. BUT... they also advised that it would be 2-1/2 months before they can look at it because of a back log on warranty work... and if they agree to replace the barrel ... a barrel has to be made/fitted then sent out to get Ti coated then STI has to reassemble it ... time frame expected ? end of this year...

to say I am unhappy with STI ... is an understatement !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 7 months later...