Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

American Eagle 147gr vs Blazer Brass 124gr

brianr34

I am shooting a Glock 34 Gen4 in SSP. I am using a 13lb spring on Jager rod with a 4.5lb striker spring.

Previously I used Blazer Brass 115gr, however it sounds like most competitive shooters like a heavier bullet.

Fot those that have shot both, how does AE 147gr FMJ compare to Blazer Brass 124 gr in the following areas?

--Recoil

--Accuracy

--Reliability using lighter striker spring

From what I have seen the 147 gr is around $13.75 and Blazer 124 is $12

Edited by brianr34

Every barrel/gun is different. You should get some of both and see which runs better in your exact setup. Having said that, my storm lake barrel in an M&P 9L likes the AE 147's. I think the recoil is a tad softer, and it seems to whack steel a bit harder.

The heavy bullet/lighter bullet and light springs combo really applies to handloaders. Those who shoot IDPA and use 9mm tend to like the heavy bullet with a fast powder. A 147 gr bullet at 125 Pf (The min) is very soft shooting... The slide on a Glock with factory springs would feel sluggish with this load, so shooters experiment with the 11 and 12 Lb recoil springs and 4.0 and 4.5 striker spings. Other shooters favor the snappy feel of the 115 gr bullets. Since you are using factory ammo, I don't think you will notice that big of a difference between the two.