Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Trigger problem

Garmil

This is my first 2011 and first time working on one. Bought a new custom Sti and am having a problem. When the hammer is cocked and the safety is on pulling the trigger very slightly moves the hammer, then when the safety is lowered the hammer drops all the way.

I searched and read that this is caused by hammer to sear engagement. What are the proper steps to fix this and make sure it doesn't happen again? I have another sear and hammer that I can replace if needed.

Thanks for any help.

It's actually caused by the safety lug being cut too much and not properly contacting the sear.

If you take the grip safety off, reinstall the safety and repeat the test, you will see the sear move up which allows the hammer to fall when you disengage the safety.

There is an article on this and here is the link.

http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/0601.htm

There are two ways to fix the problem.

You can peen the safety lug a little at a time to expand it and try to get the correct contact, or buy a new safety and have it fitted.

If the gun is new and custom build, I would contact the builder and have them replace the safety!

Contact STI and let them fix it. I had trouble with my new Eagle slam firing I contacted their customer service they provided return shipping then contacted me yesterday to let me know what they found and what they were doing to fix it. excellent service.

Sent from my SCH-I405 usi ng Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the responses. It's a used custom gun I bought. My grip safety is pinned if that makes a difference.

Im still trying to figure out all the different parts and how they fit together. Any chance of the sear spring playing a role? That did come out when I was taking it apart and not positive I got it back in perfect.

Sounds like I'll need to have a gunsmith look at it.

Had to give up for the night getting too frustrated. Now the gun is together but something is wrong the guide rod is extending past the bushing and I can't get the safety out to tear it down.

Make sure to cock the hammer when you try to pull the safety out (or put it back in).

I'm 100% sure it's what Durtarg is saying, and it's very likely you'll need a new thumb safety. They aren't very hard to fit, though.

not really. many time they must be replaced or adjusted when new sear and hammer are installed. if everything work as normal when the safety is not engaged then thats the first place to look. cock the hammer, put on safety and pull trigger. now slowly pull the hammer back and listen for a click. if it clicks the safeties lug is not preventing the sear from moving back. Do not shoot it if it does till you fix it

Archived