Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pimp My Stock III

Man, after reading all these stock 3 threads after the hawktec fire sale, I'm kinda glad I didn't pick one up. Everyone has nothing but problems. My stock 2 works like a champ!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, after reading all these stock 3 threads after the hawktec fire sale, I'm kinda glad I didn't pick one up. Everyone has nothing but problems. My stock 2 works like a champ!

You'r kidding right? Hawktec sold them for retail and both of my stock 3's work perfectly

With DA guns, we are the worst thing that can happen to them. We chase that smooth light DA trigger pull to the point we affect reliability.

My Stock III will run more reliably if I quit trying to get it even lighter. Right now I would choose my SIII over my "Cajunized" SP01.

Well since my work on my first Stock III complete (other than getting the FTF's to subside) I tried fitting my Titan hammer to my other III last night. Of course to use the one piece sear with the Titan you gotta fit the safety leg. So I got out the sandpaper (I'm poor and don't have a dremel, lol) and started sanding away. After sanding and putting it back in and out a few times the safety will work when the hammer is at half cock and when the hammer is all the way back but when the hammer is all the way forward I can put the safety up and pull the trigger hard enough that it will fire. That's never happened to me as far as it not working both all the way forward and all the way back. I'm not sure I can take much more material off or it will end up being too much all around and I'll have a sear that will be garbage. Has anyone else had this.

Also on a side note, the two wing disco makes a HUGE difference in my III. I noticed that the one wing almost is like all the resistance is on the left and the trigger almost rides to the right side when pulling it back. It's weird and kinda hard to explain. I got a 2 wing disco but the holes to attach to the hammer are super small and the pin won't even go in if I try attaching to the hammer. Has anyone else had to ream or make the hole bigger in a two wing disco? All my others I never had to.

So I'm driving myself nuts now. I have nearly the same set up. Uncut Light EG Light hammer and FP springs, Henning G4 giring pin, Titan Hammer, one piece sear, and the one leg disconnector that comes with the new S3's. Everything all fitted and polished up. So I primed some cases and went out to my garage to test them at first i could try all I wanted, but with rem 1-1/2 or CCI SPP nothing would set them off. Then last night I pulled out the firing pin block, and it was able to set off 2 out of 3 of the Remingtons. The third seemed pretty well bashed after repeatedly striking it. I though maybe something was wrong with the primer, but I pulled out my SA STI and it set everything off that the Tanfo couldn't.

My question is, is this an accurate way of testing the system, or is there a difference between a primed case and an actual loaded round. Next, does it make sense that my firing pin block would be reducing the energy of the firing pin on the primer? And, lastly what do I do to improve reliability. I havnt had the chance to test yet but i have the factory hammer spring with 2 coils cut i may put back in to try, or i may try clipping a coil or two off the FP spring, does that make sense???

May have answered my own question. I was at a match last night and during down time ran a few rounds through the S3. All my hand loads with Rem 1-1/2 primers, about 20 rds, went off in both single and double action! Apparently primed cases are not an ideal representation of ignition reliability. My though is that the case is being pushed forward with no bullet to keep the case against the chamber walls. Oh, and now that I think about it, I crimped the empty cases, which would only make it worse...

Praetorian,

I did a quick video of the triggers on both my Stock II's and both Stock III's before rushing out the door this morning, it's uploading and I will post it here and you can see the differences in my setups. My Extreme Stock II and my primary Stock III have the best triggers by far in my mind. I am sure I could make them all better but since they are reliable 100% except for my backup Stock III since it hasn't even been shot yet but I can tell a big difference in the 1-wing vs 2-wing discos in them. I will be back soon :ph34r:

Youtube of your reset and over/pre travel with the dual wing disco?

Sorry for the video quality. Rushing out the house so didn't have Wifi connection to upload in HD quality.

The Stock III that has the Titan hammer and one wing disco trigger sucks. It's gritty, feels like it pulls to the right for lack of better words since the disco wing is on the left side. With the 2-wing disco it feels like the trigger pull going back is more balanced. Now once I put the 2-wing disco in the Stock III then I think the trigger will improve. It also needs some more polishing and work too.

My primary Stock III and Extreme Stock II have the lightest triggers. My chromed Stock II gave me light strike fits last year and once I cured them I haven't messed with it anymore cuz I rather reliable than chasing a little less weight.

That titan hammer is not very eye appealing, to me anyways.

I still have to fit it to the one piece sear but honestly, the Delta works so nice on my primary III that I prolly will stay with it on that one unless I have light strikes and need the extra force from the heavier Titan hammer

I'm surprised you guys don't care for the Titan hammer factory 1 sided disco combination. that is what I have in right now plus springs and polishing, and I'm pretty impressed. I plan to get the light trigger return spring, and sear spring soon, as well as fit an egw disco to reduce the SA pretravel.

I am having a bit of an issue though where while pulling slowly through DA, the trigger feels like it loads up and then jumps a bit, loads up and jumps a bit and does this through the pull. If you pull it a little faster It doesn't to it. I think i need to polish all the machining marks out of my frame where the bottom leg of the disco rides along it in DA...

I ran across old video from last year with my Stock II's. Nealio and Atlas remember this. If you take too much off the disco wing you can get a super light DA trigger but reliability goes out the door, lol

Done chasing the lightest DA I can get. Not worth shaving .5 lbs off a DA pull anymore. Friend took the Stoeger class this weekend and Ben is running a 13lb Wollf Hammer so I'm good with that.

Will leave the EG Light springs in the spare parts kit till I end up swapping my Xtreme Delta for a Titan.

13.8# Xtreme hammer spring is 0.5lbs lighter than a 13# Wolff on DA pull with a Lyman Digital scale.

13.8# gave me periodic light strikes. 13# didnt. I dont even notice the 0.5lbs on DA once the buzzer goes off.

I do like the way the 13.8# feels but its not worth it. Maybe with a Titan hammer.