Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle shooting off ramp or rooftop

I've seen some guys shoot from this position by hanging the magazine off the lip of the ramp and pulling the magwell into the ramp with their support hand.

What's the advantage to this way vs resting the handguard on the lip or using the magazine as a monopod? I wish I had some pictures to explain what I'm describing.

Edited by Will_M

It really depends on what the Roof prop is made and the Angle. Resting your Handguard on the edge is usally a more sturdier position with my shooting knee pushed into my shooting elbow, but for most roof top this can only be accomplised with a 20rnd mag as a 30rnd is to tall. I'll anchor my magazine over the edge when I find that the slope is to steep or if the materal on the roof top is too slick and I have to shoot over the roof to be able to see the targets. If I can see all the targets, don't slip on the material but cant rest my handguard on the edge, I'll monopod.

I like to hang my magazine over the far side of the roof if at all possible because:

1) It is often faster to get into position

2) It stops me sliding backwards

3) It is much easier to get BOTH elbows down

4) I can run a longer magazine

I sometimes shake my head when I see the contorted positions people get into just so they can rest on their handguard... "I have a free-float handguard - I am going to use it dammit" :roflol:

I like to hang my magazine over the far side of the roof if at all possible because:

1) It is often faster to get into position

2) It stops me sliding backwards

3) It is much easier to get BOTH elbows down

4) I can run a longer magazine

I sometimes shake my head when I see the contorted positions people get into just so they can rest on their handguard... "I have a free-float handguard - I am going to use it dammit" :roflol:

^^^This^^^ your weight and gravity literally locks you in place. Only time it's not great is if there are really wide target transitions. Then you need try to ease up on how much weight is pulling back on the magwell or you'll be stuck.

If you pay KurtM $400 and take his rifle class he'll teach you this too. Way better then the 20rd mag handguard on the top trying not to slide off the roof top stuff.

I am trying to picture what the 'magazine over the edge' looks like. Does this mean the rifle is actually resting on the trigger guard? So the handguard does not actually touch the roof?

Yes. But it really depends on the angle of the slope and what the top is like.

I saw someone do that a couple years ago and it blew my mind, haha. Been doing it ever since. Allows me to run longer extended magazines and get both arms down on the barricade/roof/prop.

• 3 weeks later...

I've only had to do it once, and I didn't get an opportunity to try different positions before hand. So, I ended up using my magazine as a monopod and resting the handguard on the peak. I'm not sure if this particular rooftop would be conducive to hanging the magazine over (using a 30rnd or larger) because I think the rifle would end up being too high (this rooftop had a partial "other side"). I did end up sliding backwards while trying to get in position, but it wasn't a problem once I got prone.

Paused video still:

Rooftop%20Shooting_zpskhco3yyn.jpg

Video of the stage (starting at the rooftop position): https://youtu.be/JogsdTeEmn0?t=2m27s

Edited by TennJeep1618

• 1 month later...

At our club the rooftop prop is pretty tall and has foot stops to mount and climb it. Some people take the time to go all the way up however I usually shoot from a reverse kneeling position. Having the rail clamped to the apex of the roof allows the gun to slide laterally and transition targets very quickly, having my strong side leg elevated allows me to brace my strong side elbow on my knee, and since I'm only climbing 2/3 of the way up it's very quick to mount.

Different strokes for different folks, but if I was the RO and you "Mounted" a prop on my stage I would DQ your ass before you could even get your pants down. I am all in for personal freedom, but that sort of thing is "unsportsmanlike behavior" for sure.

Different strokes for different folks, but if I was the RO and you "Mounted" a prop on my stage I would DQ your ass before you could even get your pants down. I am all in for personal freedom, but that sort of thing is "unsportsmanlike behavior" for sure.

Too damn funny!