Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock drop in trigger assembly

jshubes22

Ok I'm asking this question here because I have gotten positive results from previous questions with this forum.

I installed a Zev drop in trigger assembly in my gen4 34. I also installed a zev firing pin/spring, safety plunger and spring.

Now i had been waiting to get my frame back from being modified, I got it back yesterday, popped out the 3 pins, dropped in the trigger. reassembled. Function checked for proper trigger reset and headed to the range for IDPA practice.

First stage - beep - click. nothing. racked, click again. I put the 34 away and finished the practice with my 19.

Before I start going crazy I had one question. Could the drop in trigger kit cause this problem or is it most likely in the slide assembly. I will be going back to my local range and swapping out to factory parts in the slide, but in the slim chance it still acts up I was hoping for a little guidance from the seasoned veterans on this site.

thanks

jason

Since there are several springs exactly which firing pin and firing pin spring did you install? What ammunition were you using? Did you fire the pistol and check function before the match?

It wasnt a match, it was a practice that just runs stages. in the slide i changed the striker and the striker spring. I changed the safety plunger and the safety plunger spring. As far as the trigger goes i replaced the trigger assembly with Zevs drop in competition trigger assembly. I changed nothing in the Zev drop in kit.

The ammo is my reloads that I have been using for the past 6-7 months, nothing has changed in the ammo - same powder, same primers, same bullets, havent changed the settings on the press.

My main question was if something in the trigger assembly could cause my problem. I know i dont have all the details like if there was a mark on the primers, but that will come tonight when I go try to shoot again. I am putting the slide back to factory and trying it on the frame as it sits now. If that works, then I will try installing one component at a time to try to isolate what is causing my problem.

Yes, something in the trigger could cause the problem. Something could be wrong with the trigger bar cam which could cause it to not push the plunger far enough for the striker to clear it.

Or your striker spring could be too weak for your primers, something could be amiss with your safety plunger or spring which causes it to not let the striker pass or slows it enough to not ignite the primers.

What primers are you using and what striker spring did you use? Assuming the striker hit the primers I would start there.

Yes, something in the trigger could cause the problem. Something could be wrong with the trigger bar cam which could cause it to not push the plunger far enough for the striker to clear it.

Or your striker spring could be too weak for your primers, something could be amiss with your safety plunger or spring which causes it to not let the striker pass or slows it enough to not ignite the primers.

What primers are you using and what striker spring did you use? Assuming the striker hit the primers I would start there.

CCI primers....have shot over 5k of them without issues, had a couple hard ones but they always went off with another hit. I will report back once i have more info after trying to shoot tonight - thanks for the help i greatly appreciate it

I also use CCI primers. I had unreliable ignition with the Zev striker and a 4lb spring. Once I moved to a 4.5lb spring it worked fine until the striker spring had like 2k rounds on it then I had occasional light strikes again. I have since moved to a 5lb spring and have had no issues even after I get a lot of rounds on the spring.

The Zev kits call their springs "2lb pull weight" and "3lb pull weight". I asked them and they said their 2lb pull weight spring was a 4lb spring.

I doubt it's your issue if none of the rounds went off. Even with a 4lb spring I only had occasional issues, like 1 in 50 rounds.

Zev has what they refer to as a 2# spring which is similar to a Wolff 4# spring and a 3# spring which is similar to a Wolff 5# spring. If you installed the 2# spring try the 3# spring and see if it works.

The so called 2# spring normally works with a lightweight striker unless you have hard primers.

Good News!! So after swapping parts to no avail....I had one of the local range armorers take a look to see if anything looked off to him. He took it all apart, said it looked ok to him, only thing he noticed was a little bit of crap in the firing pin channel. so a quick brush through, sprayed it with some cleaner, reassembled and sure enough ... Bang!

I put 100 rounds though it after that and will be going back tomorrow to put about another 200 through it to make sure it is good to go for saturday. FYI I am currently using the Zev striker with the stock striker spring.

Thank you all for your help and assistance.

• 2 weeks later...

Uhh... so I'm considering Zev... I know you just got it, but how do you like the Zev?!

I like it. I shot an IDPA match last weekend with it and have zero complaints. Going to put a lot more round through it and see if it gets any smoother

Archived