Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 38 super or wait for a 929

scout308

I have a lead on a S&W 627 38 super as new. My dilemma. Do i wait (unknown ETA in Australia) for a 929 or import one myself from gun broker at the cost of an extra $1000. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated

Regards

Scout308

38 super brass is more expensive, but 1000 bucks buys a lot of brass. We do get all of our brass back too.

They both use similar bullets, so I dunno if I'd go thru the effort to get a 9mm.

All of this assumes you load your own ammo.

The supers I've been around have been more accurate then any other caliber including the 9mm and more trouble free.

They weigh just about the same so only real difference little longer barrel and sight radius. I've never felt handy capped

with a five over a six and half in barrel. My vote the super.

James

AS a current owner of a 929 and Two 627s, I would recommend the 38 super. The 9mm 929 has too many issues and falls short of my expectations of having a revolver that would shoot the same ammo as my semi auto's. A quick search will reveal numerous issues with the 929, my personal expericences are, quality control, my first gun had excessive barrel to cylinder gap and was scrapped at the factory after I sent it back for repairs, the second gun suffers from sticky extraction and had a much rougher action than any of the five 627s I have owned over the years. I am also haveing difficulties finding a 132 power factor load that meets my expectations of accuracy and ease of extraction. The fellow shooters I know that have the 38 super love them.

Nice buy!

I have a leupold delta point on an alchin mount on my super. 3.5 moa. Small, close to bore, adjusts brightness automatically, auto shut off, holding zero well. I like it.

Note: if you use the supplied leupold base for the 627, you'll have to put a dummy screw in the front screw hole on the top strap as it only screws into the back two holes. Otherwise hot stuff will come out of the forcing cone, through that hole and negatively affect the sight. Not an issue with the alchin as it screws into all three holes.

Oops, reading from the bottom up. Just saw your post trying to order cmore and mount.

Edited by one-gun

I personally have both guns and a lead on another 38 super.... I am constantly tormented by the choice. Which gun to use!!??!?.. The 38 super is cut for 9mm and I refer to it as my ak of revolvers.. She runs every thing that I put through it. I run the oal. At 1.125 with 147s. Super fast reloads and extractions. The same load locks up my 929. The problem is I have worked out a lot of the issues with the 929 and really like the sight radius. I'm working on short 124 load to get the extraction issues resolved.

You would be happier with a 38 super gun and a 1000.00 bucks in the bank or training budget..

• 2 weeks later...

IF, you shoot 9mm out of the super?.... Get the 9mm Lee "U" die from egwguns.com or Lee (about $30.. US). U know how uses it. (May as well get 2, one for the 9mm set up. lube the cases & set the die low on the shell plate.