Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are the essential spare parts my range bag?

ItZallGooD

This season both my son and myself will be shooting Glocks. What should I have in my range bag for emergency repairs? His is a Gen 3 RTF 22 and mine is a Gen 4 35. What parts will need to be gen. specific? Right now all I have is the little Glock tool :)

Thanks for the advice

Thanks guys. I usually just shoot local matches and don't take any extra parts. We are headed up to Ryan Rocks charity this year. After a 3.5 hour drive and a hotel room I would like to have some cheap insurance so that I can shoot.

As far as the recoil spring goes, I was already thinking about converting the dual spring to the simpler more adjustable set up. I have seen these little rings that convert the double spring to the older style. Are these durable enough or is there a better way? I'm pretty sure that my sons gun needs a recoil spring any ways so I'll probably get a new one and hold on to the old one for a spare for now.

Trigger spring, fo, complete striker assym., rsa, extractor. That's it. Maybe a spring loaded bearing, and a extractor spring. If your extractor breaks and you have to swap it if you loose the small parts your screwed, that's why the complete striker assym. If that spring or cups get away from you you'll never find them. The best thing is a spare gun.

Have you upgraded the triggers or anything on them with drop in kits? If so use the factory parts as your backups. I would say, a spare trigger spring would be the big one as well as an extra striker spring and maybe an extra extractor. Not a whole lot breaks on a glock. If its the 2 of you shooting, your backup could always be the other persons gun. Back in my glock days, my spare parts were all located in my carry gun in the car

Have you upgraded the triggers or anything on them with drop in kits? If so use the factory parts as your backups. I would say, a spare trigger spring would be the big one as well as an extra striker spring and maybe an extra extractor. Not a whole lot breaks on a glock. If its the 2 of you shooting, your backup could always be the other persons gun. Back in my glock days, my spare parts were all located in my carry gun in the car

I didn't even think about my carry gun. It's a gen 4 27. Good call.

The only trigger work is 3.5lb connectors in both.

Sounds like a couple of spring kits, extractor and a striker assembly and I should be good to go.

I carry a just about all of the internal small parts but the only things that have broken on me have been the slide and a trigger spring. Interestingly enough the gun still worked with the broken trigger spring. The trigger only needed to be reset when the slide was racked manually. Not sure if this is normal.

I carry a just about all of the internal small parts but the only things that have broken on me have been the slide and a trigger spring. Interestingly enough the gun still worked with the broken trigger spring. The trigger only needed to be reset when the slide was racked manually. Not sure if this is normal.

The actual slide broke? How long does that take? My 35 is new and the 22 is a little older but hasn't been shot too much. I'm pretty sure at that point I will just get a new gun.

I like to have a lot of spare parts, even though I may never need them. I agree with the posts above concerning the list. Don't forget this, however: Even if you carry an extra fiber optic pipe, you have to have a lighter in your kit if you ever need to switch it out. Not many smokers out there so carrying a lighter is NOT a given.

I think bare minimum are:

fiber optic pipes (with lighter)

Trigger spring

Extractor

Firing pin

Cups (because if you're switching out your pin in the field, you're going to lose just one cup)

Recoil spring assembly

Extras that are good to have:

A completely assembled trigger assembly (4 parts)

A completely assembled striker assembly (4 parts)

A completely assembled extractor plunger assembly (3 parts), plus extractor

FP safety spring (for when you lose it while replacing the extractor)

Parts you'll actually ever need:

---

I'd suggest a slide stop ext or std, whatever your preference is. There is that small wire "spring" that has broken on two of mine. When it goes, it makes your life total hell too. Slide starts catching repeatedly mid stage, almost like a single shot at that point. I always carry one of those along with striker spring (factory weight and lightened), spring cups, trigger return spring and a universal punch for the pins. Whole kit fits into a small zippered pouch.

Forgot about this, it was so long ago. I was running +P+ loads for a couple of years, and managed to crack two slides after about 25K rounds. Load is now around 144PF and have had no problems for over 12 years.

image36960.jpg