Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftermarket Billet Aluminum Toolheads

1 minute ago, ams30gts said:

Does anyone make a aftermarket toolhead for the Super 1050?  I want to add more calibers, but the price of just the toolhead is $200!

There's not an affordable aftermarket toolhead for the ten fiddly... at least, I haven't found one yet. 

2 hours ago, Phlier said:

There's not an affordable aftermarket toolhead for the ten fiddly... at least, I haven't found one yet. 

Probably just not enough demand for one.  EVERYTHING for the 1050 is ridiculous expensive.  Just adding a (same primer size) caliber runs around $500 if not more.

Having used the whidden toolhead fitted with the uniqutek clamp kit extensively now I can say the press 'feels' smoother with it over the dillon head. Oal is slightly more consistent too. However I'd put both of those things down to the fact it's bolted down instead of floating with loose fitting pins. It certainly is a nicely machined part though. 

Witt the clamped head I can really feel a case moving through the carbide sizer etc. much more feel. 

But it as I said I believe that's mainly from it being bolted. 

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Dillon make great presses. I have two...but I know what they are made for. They are not made for precision loading. Can it be done? To some extent, but not easily.
If you want precision rifle rounds use Wilson dies, arbor press, or Forster coax. If you want high volume good rounds? Use Dillon.
Therefore I have no need for billet tool heads. JMHO.

As said before tubb loads on a 650, army marksmanship unit loads on 650s, guy I know who shoots elr loads on 550s.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

As said before tubb loads on a 650, army marksmanship unit loads on 650s, guy I know who shoots elr loads on 550s.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

And a Honda Civic can be built to run 10's. However there is an easier way for precision shooting than loading on dillons.

Also, people's definition of precision shooting often varies. I am not happy with 1/2 moa. 1/2 moa is easy and probably can be achieved on a Dillon...but sub 1/4 moa is a different game altogether.