Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22 comp?

jbultman

Looking to put a muzzle break/compensator on my m&p 22. Do you need one specifically designed for a 22? Is it going to help, only being a 22, or is it just adding weight to the front?
I found one I like that will fit but it is designed for a .223/5.56.

Thanks

Edited by jbultman

I had one of those clamp on compensators on my 22/45. I believe it did two things.

1. It added weight to the front, as you suspected.

2. It added more noise, in this case it's not a bad thing because it was easier for the timer to detect.

Well, one is a compensator, the other is a flash hider. If there's any chance it's going to work, I'd go with the compensator. It must do some good because all the "cool kids" have them on their guns :)

Neither is a compensator. A compensator designed for a 22LR does work. How well depends on the design and the ammo used. For comps that work, tactical ammo at 1200fps or MiniMag @ 1235fps result in muzzle rise that is half of standard ammo. With either, the dot never leaves the glass.

You have a wide selection available, but I'll narrow it down for you. The least expensive comp that works is this one. http://www.cwaccessories.com/Compensators.html Scroll down to the aluminum ones. $20 is hard to beat. The 2-hole works just as well at the 3-hole, because only the first port is doing any work. You'll have to clock it to your barrel. Buy a delrin washer from the hardware store, then sand it down until the comp clocks correctly.

This comp from Madd Macs Tactical works extremely well. http://www.maddmacsprecisiontactical.com/lite-comp-2245l016.html It has a built-in clocking adapter. You loosen the two set screws on the bottom, then tun the comp 'till it's clocked and tighten. The first ports on this comp are angled to the sides. This has the effect of making the dot (or front sight) move straight up and down. You can easily get off 5 on-target shots in 1 second with this comp.

There are lots of others, but these are the two extremes. Buy the CWA if you are just wanting to try one out. It works very well. If you are looking for the fastest setup for Steel, get the MMT.

Edited by zzt

Try the alchin. It actually made my dot dip down. Drilled 1/4" holes on the side of each chamber and now works perfectly. Dot doesn't move. $50 direct from Al.

LOL! John's last name is Allchin and yes, his .22lr comp works very well.

http://allchingunparts.com/product-info.php?pid13.html

rimfirecomp-l_2.jpg

Thanks guys for the help, its been huge!! Completely changed my trin on thought on the matter.

Been doing some research, talking to some people and I have it down to 2...

1. Allchin 22 rimfire compensator

2. MaddMacs compensator #2245019

Thoughts?

We switched to a Nordic Corvette for my son's 15-22 for steel challenge. It has all but ended reshoots for him because the timer wouldn't always pick up the stock one. We got ours from Tony at www.makereadyproshop.com for about 50.00

We switched to a Nordic Corvette for my son's 15-22 for steel challenge. It has all but ended reshoots for him because the timer wouldn't always pick up the stock one. We got ours from Tony at www.makereadyproshop.com for about 50.00

Do you notice much difference on muzzle rise? I have a cert I've been meaning to use.

Do you notice much difference on muzzle rise? I have a cert I've been meaning to use.

I agree..I don't think it makes a huge difference on muzzle rise with .22 as it may on .223. But it has saved ammo and time for sure for re shoots in steel challenge.

It looks good on the gun as well over the stock piece imo