Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TTI Ulitimate Light-Speed Buffer Spring?

wbear

Need some info on Taran Butlers spring.

1. How does it compare to a std mil spec carbine spring in rate?

How much lighter is it?

2. I will be using a JP LMOS steel bolt carrier and either a Taccom ULW delrin buffer (.5 oz) or a std carbine buffer with the weights removed (1 oz), 16" mid length barrel and of course an adj gas block.

Please comment on how you think this setup will work.

Any hints, good, bad?

Will it have a problem locking the bolt back?

3. What would the difference in feel be with this setup if I was to switch back and forth with Taran's spring and

a std mil spec carbine spring?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Taran's vendor area might be the best spot for this.

Reality is that you're only going to know for sure by trying. If your rifle was currently exhibiting a given set of characteristics, we could pretty easily speculate as to what changing one part would/should/might yield. Your equation has a LOT of variables.

Change one piece of the equation at a time...

Edited by wgj3

Yes a lot of variables.

I was hoping someone that was using the Taccom buffer and TTI spring may have some experience to share.

I did post in the vendor area as you suggested. Thanks.

Right now I'd be happy to find out exactly how much lighter it is than the stock carbine spring.

The TTI spring that I have measures .5 to 1 lb. higher than the standard carbine springs that I have when compressed to the same length.

Keep in mind that "Std." carbine springs of different brands can vary that much or more when new and will lose length and force over time, varying with material/quality/ # rnds. fired.

I was hoping someone that was using the Taccom buffer and TTI spring may have some experience to share.

I am.

JP LMOS QPQ BCG

TTI spring

TACCOM ULW buffer

SLR adjustable block

18" gun, mid gas.

1. How does it compare to a std mil spec carbine spring in rate?

How much lighter is it?

2. I will be using a JP LMOS steel bolt carrier and either a Taccom ULW delrin buffer (.5 oz) or a std carbine buffer with the weights removed (1 oz), 16" mid length barrel and of course an adj gas block.

Please comment on how you think this setup will work.

Any hints, good, bad?

Will it have a problem locking the bolt back?

3. What would the difference in feel be with this setup if I was to switch back and forth with Taran's spring and

a std mil spec carbine spring?

1. Sorry, never measured it against other springs......

2. Mine has worked great....set it up last summer. Not an expert, but significantly less muzzle movement (using the same brake I had previously), and I set up the gas kinda lazy in that I cooled the ammo to replicate cold weather, set the gas, and then haven't touched it......so it runs a little hotter during warm weather than one could probably tune the gas down to.........what that means is that I just leave the gas at the same setting year-round and thus every now and then, I do get failure to lock back, but it isn't consistent.....tried to a couple PMAGs, whereas it doesn't happen with other PMAGs. I believe the carrier is running past the bolt catch too quickly, with the Phase5 lever hanging on it adding some weight to the catch. It doesn't happen often enough that I sweat it, as the gun runs fine, feeds fine, and isn't overgassed, plus how often do I shoot mag empty on a stage? I haven't noticed weird wear on the ULW buffer or other parts, but I also don't go through 10k rounds in 8-9 months like some people around here.

3. Sorry, can't accurately answer that as I haven't tried switching them. Could give opinion, but that isn't really fair.

Edited by AustinWolv

• 1 year later...

Bumping a old thread but I have a question.

Is the TTI lightened spring supposed to be a direct replacement for a standard buffer spring?

As in are the spring diameters supposed to be the same?

I just received the TTI spring and it is significantly smaller than a standard buffer spring and standard buffer will not fit into it.

Did I receive the wrong spring or what?

Edited by fedupflyer