Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I am new to the forum and I just have two pressing questions to ask anyone familiar with the installation of the Dillon XL 650 Strong Mounts (before I order the equipment and the chosen set-up from Brian):

1. How far back from the front edge of the table can I install the Strong Mount without interfering with the full movement of the handle?

2. If I'd like to install the Strong Mount for the XL650 as far away from the edge of the table, am I better off with the taller Strong Mount (for the 550/650)?

Thanks.

Welcome to the Forums. The strong mount is like a mini table. You can mount it anywhere without interfering with the handle. The further back you mount it, the more you have to reach in over the bench to pull on the handle.

Welcome to the Forums. The strong mount is like a mini table. You can mount it anywhere without interfering with the handle. The further back you mount it, the more you have to reach in over the bench to pull on the handle.

:blink:

Basically as far back as the width of a 2x4. So really, about an inch and a half. I have about the same amount of gap as the pictures Alecmc posted and my bolts are very close to the 2x4 I used for my frame. I had to use a smaller washer than what came with the strong mount on the bottom.

Edit: So actually I'm probably back about an inch and a quarter maybe, tops.

Edited by Meyer23

Thanks everyone, I did not expect to get such prompt responses. Fantasttic photos and exact measurements to boot from AlecMC and seconded by Meyer23.

Your welcome note, Sarge is much appreciated likewise.

Hey Youngeyes, don't feel bad - I had the same impression at the outset but I guess we both stand corrected.

Actually, Brian had the same impression as AlecMC and Meyer23 but was not sure if it is feasible to go beyond 1.5" from the edge. It was Brian who directed me to this forum and now I see how one can easily get quick info from you guys.

AlecMC, is that the Strong Mount - the shorter of the two versions? If so, I wonder if the taller Strong mount (550/650) will allow installation beyond 1 to 1.25" from the edge of the table.

I have the 650 only mount which raises it 6.5". The 550/650 raises it 8.5" so you may be able to move it back a bit more, not I'm not sure what the point would be. Is there a particular reason you're trying to get the press further back?

Hi Meyer23 and AlexMC:

I might have to install the XL650 Strong Mount less than 1" from the front edge of the table with my present set-up. I really don't have too much leeway since I only have 10" to work with from the front edge to a 4" wide metal support bar/plate that runs along the entire width of the table underneath. I read somewhere that the base of the Strong Mount itself measures 10" front to back and that the pre-drilled mounting holes are 9" center to center. I could add a small strip of wood to the front of the table but I am hesitant to ruin the looks of a nice looking maple table top that I just stained and finished.

If I have the option of installing the Strong Mount farther back, drilling through the support metal plate or straddling the entire plate altogether might be feasible. However, the latter might place the Dillon XL650 closer to the middle of the table (and maybe too far from the front edge) and I am not sure if this is really advisable.

Again, thanks for all your thoughts and help.

It's just the regular " 650 only " mount from dillon.

It makes the overall height just a couple inches taller then the 1050 ( at the case feeder ) but the handles are about the same height.

16538593479_b91d4f04e4_b.jpg

When I mounted mine, I had to move it back on the surface a tad more to get the bolts/washers to fit underneath. I wanted to use bolts rather than lags. That required carving out a bit of a notch on the table edge to let the handle fully travel-- no biggie

AlecMC, you have a beautiful, pristine reloading set-up. I am now going to put in the order for my Dillon XL650 with Brian tonight. I only have a small workbench (24" X 60") with adjustable height from 30-36" so I can only drool looking at your large work space.

Thanks for all the info and beautiful photos of your reloading equipment and man-cave.