Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GoPro Settings for Best Match/Practice Video

gng4life

I'll also check w my buddy who took this one of me with his Hero4 Black

That footage looks awesome.

Ask him what settings and more importantly, his steps for upload to youtube. ie-was he using GoPro Studio or some other editing software? What were his export settings?

I finally got my replacement Hero4 Black back from GoPro. I set it to 1080P-60fps, Medium FOV, ProTune on. This is how it turned out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj4tsJyYHOE

I'm going to try a few more settings at a practice session next weekend, but I'm pretty pleased with how it looks as is.

That looks really good. What editing software are you using?

I finally got my replacement Hero4 Black back from GoPro. I set it to 1080P-60fps, Medium FOV, ProTune on. This is how it turned out:

I'm going to try a few more settings at a practice session next weekend, but I'm pretty pleased with how it looks as is.

That looks really good. What editing software are you using?

Sony Vegas. It's capable of doing a lot more than I've ever used it for.

Edited by TennJeep1618

This one was shot with my new GoPro Hero4 Silver. Settings were 1080P @ 60 FPS, Protune, wide FOV

These 2 were shot with an old GoPro HD Hero. Settings were 720P @ 60 FPS

Huge difference in quality. I picked up a GoPro Hero4 Session as well. Haven't really shot a video with it yet to compare.

This one was shot with my new GoPro Hero4 Silver. Settings were 1080P @ 60 FPS, Protune, wide FOV

Huge difference in quality. I picked up a GoPro Hero4 Session as well. Haven't really shot a video with it yet to compare.

Quality in the first vid is awesome. To be fair though, the second video isn't able to be played back at 60fps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWjDSXXwFnQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqBHXY0FMP4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkSRzq8m1tg

Quality in the first vid is awesome. To be fair though, the second video isn't able to be played back at 60fps.

I must've rendered it at 30 frames. I'll double check tomorrow and render at 60 FPS. Hopefully I still have the original videos. Still a huge difference in quality with everything being equal.

• 2 weeks later...

not sure if it was mentioned in forum but I've recently upgraded to the 4K setting (lower frames p/sec) than 1080) in my gopro 4. It's a much more crisp and clear picture but be sure your platform; smart phone, ipad, droid, etc. is capable to play 4K setting.

I am assuming it is possible to turn off the fisheye lens effect with these GoPro's???

I cannot stand to watch any video that shows something curved when I know for a fact it is a straight line.

That and for shooting/match videos it makes a 15 yard target look more like a 50 yard target.

The other "kiss of death" for match videos: dubbing any sort of music. I like to hear the split "gap" between shots and transitions. If they sound good enough or close enough together, the I assume it is a Master classed shooter or above.

I am assuming it is possible to turn off the fisheye lens effect with these GoPro's???

I cannot stand to watch any video that shows something curved when I know for a fact it is a straight line.

That and for shooting/match videos it makes a 15 yard target look more like a 50 yard target.

The other "kiss of death" for match videos: dubbing any sort of music. I like to hear the split "gap" between shots and transitions. If they sound good enough or close enough together, the I assume it is a Master classed shooter or above.

Are you shooting in Wide? Wide will distort the image a bit.

No, I haven't bought a GoPro yet.

Before I plunk down the cash for one, I want to make sure it records in a non-fisheye format.

I am still rocking the pivothead glasses.

Edited by Chills1994

No, I haven't bought a GoPro yet.

Before I plunk down the cash for one, I want to make sure it records in a non-fisheye format.

I am still rocking the pivothead glasses.

Yeah, shooting in Med or Narrow will eliminate the curved distortion. However, GoPro always makes targets look farther than they are.

Okay, thanks. I might not actually wear the GoPro since I have the Pivot Heads. I might just set up the GoPro on a tripod downrange when I practice.

Just as an FYI...here are two videos of the exact same thing...one is regular/crappy resolution and the other is in HD. I think at the time Apple's iMovie couldn't handle the higher resolution. I went into the app store and bought a better editing program that could handle the HD.

• 3 weeks later...