Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GoPro Settings for Best Match/Practice Video

gng4life

I have been playing around with my GoPro and trying to find a good setting to catch matches and practice sessions. As most of us do, I want to be able to playback and determine what I'm doing right, what I'm doing wrong, and what I need to improve on. It seems like my videos look just mediocre even though I have the latest and greatest video cam.

So, my question is what do you use as the best settings for your GoPro to get good quality videos that can be played back in slow-mo and other things. Do you process the videos in some special way to make it or keep it in the highest quality settings? Any help is appreciated.

I did search around and found several posts about rating videos and cam comparisons, etc., but nothing specially on settings at length.

Make sure camera is in 1080p and 60fps ( that's 60 frames per second ). That will give you best performance from that camera.

For program, not sure which is best. I use Movie Studio Platinum 12.0 and have been happy with it. It costs money, cant remember how much, but not sure if it makes a difference or not on the quality of the playback.

Keep in mind once you upload to YouTube you lose quality. At least i do.

If you want to use slow motion, consider using the resolution that allows the highest FSP. It may not be the highest resolution.

Watching something in 720p @ 120 FPS will give you much smoother slow motion playback than something recorded in 1080P @ 60 FPS and for many people, the difference in resolution is barely noticeable.

Just looked up the specs on the newest "best" GoPro, Hero4 Black. Looks like with the newest software, the camera can record 720P @ 240 FPS. That is only available with the Narrow FOV though. WIth 240 FPS you can slow down to 8x slow-mo and still have smooth playback.

Are you running the camera on your person? Head mount? Chest mount?

Edited by bobapunk

If you want to use slow motion, consider using the resolution that allows the highest FSP. It may not be the highest resolution.

Watching something in 120p @ 120 FPS will give you much smoother slow motion playback than something recorded in 1080P @ 60 FPS and for many people, the difference in resolution is barely noticeable.

That is a very good idea. I think the 1080/60 is the fastest frame rate, but now you got me second guessing so i need to go double check. I agree, the difference between 1080 vs 720 is not noticeable. 120? that might be noticeable. I'm guessing you meant 720!

Yes, at the very least run it in 1080p 60fps. But dropping down to 720p 120fps should not make you lose that much as far as quality. And when you convert it to put on Youtube (if you do), youre going to lose quality.. but that's just for show not for your own analytics.

Watching something in 720p @ 120 FPS will give you much smoother slow motion playback than something recorded in 1080P @ 60 FPS and for many people, the difference in resolution is barely noticeable.

Just looked up the specs on the newest "best" GoPro, Hero4 Black. Looks like with the newest software, the camera can record 720P @ 240 FPS. That is only available with the Narrow FOV though. WIth 240 FPS you can slow down to 8x slow-mo and still have smooth playback.

Are you running the camera on your person? Head mount? Chest mount?

Thanks for the reply. I have it mounted on the bill of my hat and run it that way. I have tried 1080p @ 60 and 720p @ 120, didn't see a huge difference. I just recorded a bunch at A6 in WVGA @ 240. Going to go back and compare them to see if I can see any difference in playback and slo-mo. I think I need an update to get 720p @ 240 so I'll do that tonight.

Record at the fastest frame rate the camera supports and then use Shot Coach (from Practiscore folks) to review on the iPad. That's what I do.

I have Shot Coach also, just haven't played with it much so far. I was hoping to do this on my PC since I have a 28" screen versus a 7.9" iPad screen.

Make sure camera is in 1080p and 60fps ( that's 60 frames per second ). That will give you best performance from that camera.

For program, not sure which is best. I use Movie Studio Platinum 12.0 and have been happy with it. It costs money, cant remember how much, but not sure if it makes a difference or not on the quality of the playback.

Keep in mind once you upload to YouTube you lose quality. At least i do.

You don't use GoPro Studio? Why? How does it compare to Movie Studio Platinum? Thanks

I've been using Movie Studio since i was using a Sony camcorder. I have my templates all setup so it takes me no time to edit a video. Hard to give up on that.

I haven't tried GoPro Studio yet. So not sure how good or bad it is.

Were you able to upgrade the camera to 720/240? is that a firmware update available for all GoPros, or just certain versions?

Were you able to upgrade the camera to 720/240? is that a firmware update available for all GoPros, or just certain versions?

Yes, I upgraded it and I see the 720@240 now. I'll be shooting in Spartanburg in a few weeks so I'll try it there.

I have Shot Coach also, just haven't played with it much so far. I was hoping to do this on my PC since I have a 28" screen versus a 7.9" iPad screen.

PC or Mac? if Mac you can use iMovie.

I have both but my better machines are PCs. I might try iMovie anyway but GoPro Studio is enough for now, it's simple and gets the job done. When I want to start doing more advanced editing, I might look at Movie Studio.

• 5 months later...

I have my go pro set at 960p at 60fps. I have been really happy with the videos I have made. I use iMovie on our Mac for editing but I am just now getting into that ..... Also a word of advice set up the one buttons feature on the camera! Will save you time and battery. I have a link in my signature of some of the videos. Take a look of you want to see.

• 2 months later...

What setting looks best on Youtube? Or does it not matter?

If you click the link in the my signature, you can see the quality. It takes a little longer for the upload, but looks much better.

Doesn't look very sharp.

ETA-Looks like it always defaults to 480p on the YT player. I guess that's probably why they always look blurry to me. I wonder if there's a way both as a viewer and an uploader to get it to default to 1080p when playing back.

Your video looks really good once you select 1080p

Edited by d_striker

I was playing around with my Hero 3+ today. I did a lot of internet reading on the subject.

A lot of people were saying to match the frame rate to what YT can handle which is around 30fps.

I recorded this today while screwing around. Still not as sharp as I would like. Wondering if one can get it sharper with a non-enterprise YT account.

1080p 30fps

Protune on

Exported 1080p in .mov format

Uploaded to YT.

ETA-Actually, if you click the gear icon and select 1080p it looks really good.

Edited by d_striker

I'll check my settings but pretty sure I still have Protune on and do color correction in the GoPro app before exporting the file and editing within Sony Vegas.

I do know I record 1080p@60 ... And the medium FOV

I think ISO is 400.

What I'm not sure about is what format I'm editing or exporting in. I'll have to check