Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock III Springs

I have a 10# recoil spring in mine and I am going to test it soon as possible. I usually run a 9# in my Stock II's but with the FTF's I have had in my Stock III it was best I thought to maybe go up a little to see if that would help the issue. I have been running the EG Light hammer and FP springs in my Stock II's and they have been reliable. I have done the polishing job on my III, put one piece sear, delta hammer, extended FP, coil clipped off plunger spring, light sear spring and CGW trigger return spring and my DA was still a lot heavier than my Stock II's. So for experimentation yesterday, I clipped off 1 coil off the EG hammer spring and it lightened it up very nicely. The hammer did not seem to be hitting the FP hard enough so I clipped off 2 coils off the FP spring. I am gonna see when I go to the range if it will set off fed primers with that setup reliably and if not then back to drawing board, lol.

I realize Gump was asking more about what the factory springs were rated at, so I hope this inst too much of a thread jack...

I am trying to figure out which recoils spring to buy. I just got off the phone with Ben Stoeger's shop and apparently there are different springs for the long guide rod (stock III) and the short guide rod (stock II). They only had a 6 and 7 lb spring for the long type, so i ordered that. He said if i had gone with even a 9 or 10 that was intended for the short recoil system, when installed the spring rate should be the same but because the preload will be so different, it will not work correctly.

My question I guess is, which weight springs have people been happiest with, and were they ordered specifically for the long recoil system, or were they intended for the short?

I realize Gump was asking more about what the factory springs were rated at, so I hope this inst too much of a thread jack...

I am trying to figure out which recoils spring to buy. I just got off the phone with Ben Stoeger's shop and apparently there are different springs for the long guide rod (stock III) and the short guide rod (stock II). They only had a 6 and 7 lb spring for the long type, so i ordered that. He said if i had gone with even a 9 or 10 that was intended for the short recoil system, when installed the spring rate should be the same but because the preload will be so different, it will not work correctly.

My question I guess is, which weight springs have people been happiest with, and were they ordered specifically for the long recoil system, or were they intended for the short?

Great. New uncertainty for my ongoing work with the Stock III.

I bought a lighter recoil spring for the gun, but have no idea if it was designed for the long or short guide rod.

But I take it then, that Stock III is considered a longslide model?

Just FYI if everything is broken in and running correctly a 6# recoil spring should cycle fine.

I run and 8# in my guns but IMHO anything heavier than that and the gun won't run as flat or feed as good.